We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 21
Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

I saw that Amtrak already has the train tickets I want up for purchase even though it's another 9 months away in April 2014. Is there any advantage to purchasing this early or should I have no problem waiting?

Ticket price for 4 people (2 kids) is $117 total.

Thanks

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 2
1. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

Amtrak fares start at the lowest level and rise as more tickets are sold for a given train. So you need to buy relatively early to get the best price, but not quite this early. I would probably wait until two or three months ahead of time, but if you don't mind buying now, go ahead.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
2. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

The odds of the fare getting lower are slim to none. The odds of the fare increasing are great. Plug in closer dates than 9 months out and see how the fare rises and make your decision. Of course it may rise faster or slower for you than the "dummy" bookings, but that would give you a general idea.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
3. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

There's no reason not to buy now (except, of course, that you'll have to pay for them now.) If your plans change and you decide you want to take a different train you can apply the value of the tickets you've bought to your new choice, although you'll pay the fare that this then in effect for the train you choose.

You may know that there's a less expensive, but more time consuming way to make this trip. You can take a New Jersey Transit commuter train from NY Penn Station to Trenton and then, in the same station, get a SEPTA commuter train to Philadelphia. You don't need reservations for either of these and there's no advantage to buying in advance.

Unlike Amtrak, SEPTA trains run into Center City Philadelphia. Amtrak goes to 30th Street, which isn't right in the center. Amtrak is definitely more comfortable and quicker. If you take Amtrak hang onto your ticket. It allows you to use SEPTA commuter trains from 30th Street into Center City without an additional charge.

Los Angeles...
4. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

Thanks. I did notice that there are two differenct prices. When I check trains 2 months from now for pricing it all states $117 for 4 people... but when I click on add to cart that's where it updates the price to around $150+ for 4 people. I don't understand why they make you put it in your cart to purchase before they show you the actual price, but it's annoying.

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

Nevermind the last comment. I found out it's because I was trying to use a 30% off coupon. For some reason it increases the price instead of giving a discount.

For instance... I go into the website normally and look at put the item in my cart and it states the true $117 for 4. But if I go through this website that states 30% off it increases the price to about $150 for 4 people. Strange!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 2
6. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

The 30% off offer probably applies only to certain fares, and there are lower fares available this far in advance.

7. Re: Amtrak tickets from NYC to Phil for April 2014- too early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 28, 2014