We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
reviews: 192
Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

Using a map and a subway map, thanks to all the suggestions I got on this forum and the many ideas reading other's questions, our trip is almost planned.

We will spend 5 nights in NYC, we'll stay in Manhattan, on the 8th avenue at 48 St and we'll buy the 7 days Metrocard. This is a sketchy itinerary, organized by half days. We are more interested in visiting neighborhoods than museums. It will be the first time in NYC for our 12yo daughter.

I planned (more or less) lunch places, but I still have to decide dinner places, maybe we could just decide on the spot: I don't know yet if I will feel comfortable walking at night and taking the subway at night with my daughter.... we may just end having dinner always in close proximity of our hotel.

Thanks for any suggestion you can give me. I tried to balance walks in neighborhoods and museums. Little Italy and Chinatown at the moment are out of my itinerary. Maybe walking a little less and taking some more subway I could add them as well?

First day: land at JFK at 1 pm

Reach hotel, walk through Times Square, maybe Columbus Circus (a glance at Central Park) dinner at Don Antonio

Second day (thursday):

Subway to Greenwich, then to Chelsea Market for lunch, Highline walk.

MOMA (open until 8 pm on thursday), TOTR at sunset/night

Late dinner (or dinner after MONA before TOTR? where?)

Third day (friday):

Liberty Island with pedestal reserved for 9 am. Back to Battery park at approx 12.

Walk to Pearl St, lunch at Fraunces Tavern, walk to Charging Bull, Wall St, Federal Hall, World Trade Center, City Hall. Back to Times Square area.

Dinner?

Fourth day (saturday):

Go up to Guggenheim (just architecture) by subway, walk down to Whitney museum, visit Whitney, have lunch at Whitney or maybe at the Plaza Todd English Food Hall.

In the afternoon subway to Union Square, Flatiron Building, walk to NY Public Library, Grand Central Terminal, walk north on 5th avenue.

Dinner?

Fifth day (sunday):

Central park west, AMNH (only in the morning). Lunch at the museum, in the afternoon head to Brooklyn, DUMBO, walk through the bridge at sunset. Dinner?

Last day (morning)

ESB right at the opening. Window shopping in 5th avenue (Tiffany, Fao Swartz etc)

lunch at Shake Shack in Madison Square park.

Take taxi to La Guardia and leave

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
1. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

**I don't know yet if I will feel comfortable walking at night and taking the subway at night with my daughter.... we may just end having dinner always in close proximity of our hotel.**

No need to not feel uncomfortable. NYC is very safe. How old is your daughter?

Italy
2. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

She is 12.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
3. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

Just so you know, it is Columbus CIRCLE, not Circus. I don't think there is a Circus anything in NYC. (Only the ones with clowns of course).

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
4. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

Your itinerary looks great.

A few things....great to see you've included a visit to the Whitney...wonderful place - love the American Legends exhibition (you can do a tour) and if you're there before early Oct you'll be lucky enough to see the Hopper drawings. I am not sure I'd eat at the Whitney...when we were in that pocket we went to Via Quadronno t)(twice) http://viaquadronno.com/ . It has a wonderful choice of foods at a range of prices.

Don't forget to visit St Paul's Chapel and Trinity Church on your Friday afternoon.

When you're looking for places to eat at Times Square...consider walking across to Hell's Kitchen and going to some of the places Ziggy includes on this post....

tripadvisor.com.au/…50879688

There is a food hall on the Lower Concourse of Grand Central Terminal (and the Oyster Bar). We loved the audio tour of the terminal for which you can hire a gadget from the kiosk (or you can download it to your smart phone for less $$$ again)... grandcentralterminal.com/info/audiotour.cfm ...Don't miss the Whispering Wall (outside the Oyster Bar), the Transit shop/museum with the huge model railway (western end) and the gorgeous market (Eastern end).

Finally, don't miss the beautiful Jane's Carousel when you're over on the Promenade at Brooklyn..it's on the DUMBO part of the promenade, not the Brooklyn Heights part. It is sublime.

Have a wonderful holiday.

new york
reviews: 31
5. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

I would only do TOTR not ESB but if you want to do both, then do TOTR in daylight (so you can see Central Park) and ESB at night

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
6. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

When you get here you will realize that you don't need to worry about being out and walking at night with your daughter - you will be good company with hundreds of thousands of other people; it will be pretty crowded in certain parts of the city until very late (very late) and there will be plenty of people out and about, enjoying the night in nearly every area. But, I understand how someone can't realize that until they are here; when I first visited here before moving here, I had no idea what to expect. You will be amazed!

Italy
7. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

Thanks to everybody! Yes, I understand that as soon as I will there I will have a different feeling of crowds and walking at night. Tipically, I'm a "solo" traveler, due to work related matters. But since my daughter was born, when I'm traveling with her I'm much more concerned.

I would like to do TOTR at dusk for seeing the park and the ESB both in daylight and night-lights. I love towers :) But my daughter wants to go on top of ESB: seen in too many movies.

One question: do you think it is reasonable to add Soho/Little Italy/Chinatown to either the "lower manhattan" afternoon or the "Village/Chelsea" morning?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 37
8. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

My suggestions:

Day 2 (Thursday)

Spend most of your day wandering around SoHo, Greenwich Village and Chelsea, including Chelsea Market and the High Line. Go uptown to MoMA in the late afternoon and then have dinner.

Day 3 (Friday)

Don't have lunch at Faunces Tavern. Stop in for a look, perhaps, but then have lunch at a place on nearby Stone Street.

I think you'll be done with Lower Manhattan by late afternoon. Take the subway up to Union Square for a quick look at the greenmarket and then walk 6 blocks up to Madison Square Park and the Flatiron Building. Have dinner at the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park (or, if that doesn't appeal, there are many other restaurant options in that area). Walk up 5 blocks to the ESB and go up for nighttime views.

Day 4 (Saturday)

I wouldn't go to the Whitney unless you're really, really into modern art over all else. I think you should choose the Met instead, it's so impressive and has something for everyone. I think the Met would be a lot more interesting for your daughter!

After the museum, take a bus down Fifth Avenue to 59th Street for lunch at the Plaza Food Hall. Visit FAO Schwartz, Tiffany, and shop your way down Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center. Up to Top of the Rock. Continue down Fifth Avenue a few more blocks to the NY Public Library, then over to Grand Central.

Day 5 (Sunday)

Don't have lunch at AMNH. Once you're done at the museum, go someplace nearby before heading to Brooklyn for the afternoon. Suggestions: Hampton Chutney, Alice's Tea Cup, Isabella's, Ocean Grill.

Day 6 (Monday)

Leave open for anything you didn't manage to see or want to see again, or anything in addition that caught your eye.

Enjoy your trip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
9. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

I agree with most of what frangipani and Jenny said, although I think maybe you chose the Whitney for a reason?

I really like Don Antonio but it's not particularly attractive looking or unusualdespite the very good food. I would pick a more New York-y or attractive option for your first night and save Don Antonio maybe for Fri. night when you've had a long day and may just want something casual and close. One idea for the first night is Robert in the Museum of Art & Design at Columbus Circle. Great view of Central Park. Make a reservation on opentable.com. ( if it's a special birthday, they usually bring out whatever dessert you order decorated).

Greenwich Village is a fun area and different looking from midtown. You may not be done with it by lunch time. I wouldn't rush to get over to the Highline in time for lunch. Corner Bistro for a burger or Ottos for pizza are some lunch ideas in GV.

Walkingoffthebigapple.com

Will have ideas for self guided tours of the area

For a late dinner after MOMA, maybe Toloache for Mexican?

I'm conflicted about the Guggenheim. I agree missing the Met is a mistake but don't know when to tell you to include it. I think you're trying to cover too much on Sat. in too many different areas. Weekend brunch is a big deal. Instead of the Plaza foodhall, what about the Boat House in Central Park? If you go down to Union Square, unless you're trying to see the green market, I'd save it for last and eat down in that area. Mesa Grill is nice.

Italy
10. Re: Can you comment on my draft itinerary?

Thanks a lot for all of your useful comments. I'm going to rearrange a bit my itinerary and the lunch/dinner options. I already saw the Met, many years ago. It's true that it is an impressive museum, but I'm not sure my daughter would really appreciate it. The Whitney is my pick for this trip :-). She will have to bear it :-)

I visited the Guggenheim many years ago, I would like to show my daughter at least the peculiar architecture. I remember at that time I was not particularly impressed by the exhibitions.