We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast & Alcohol

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
reviews: 5
Breakfast & Alcohol

Hi everyone,

We are staying in the London NYC for Thanksgiving cant wait!

Can you recommend any good places for breakfast close to our hotel?

Also good bars for drinks close to the hotel?

Many thanks :)

17 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 12
1. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Fluffy's Cafe is a decent spot for breakfast. Murals on 54 is a more upscale (and expensive) nearby option.

There are LOTS of bars near your hotel. Do you have any particular atmosphere in mind? A casual Irish Pub? Traditional old-school cocktails? Trendy designer cocktails? Wine bar? Rooftop Lounge?

Birmingham
2. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Hi thank you for the reply...cocktails, wine bar ideas please somewhere smart but not to formal :)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 85
3. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Many of my favorite wine bars are away from the core tourist areas. Better wines, much better atmosphere, far better service, less rushed and hurried, more reasonably priced.

The London is very well-situated but I suggest you take advantage of the great subway system and explore some of the many wine bars around NYC and not limit yourself to the greater Times Square area.

8th Street Wine Cellar is one of the coolest places - you'd be silly to miss out.

There are so many great places on the Upper West Side and in charming locations. Wine and Roses is one of several great places on the Upper West Side.

Terroir is an excellent wine bar. So many great choices and with such an easy to navigate subway system that is extremely safe and secure and operational 24 hours a day with short waits late into the evening, it would be a shame not to explore the city in the evening.

I read so many trip reports and while people leave very excited about how much fun they had, I can't help but feel bad for all the wonderful things they missed.

New York City, New...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Benoit is a nice French bistro, they serve brunch on weekends. The bar area up front is also nice for a drink and/or a bite.

The Bar Room at the Modern (at the MOMA) is also a great place to go for a drink and/or food.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
5. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Agree with Fluffy's.

Blue Dog is not far and has good food.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/bluedog-cafe-2/

This place would be very close to you and looks good.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/tisserie-55/

Evergreen is a good basic coffee shop

www.menupages.com/restaurants/evergreen-2/

Norma's in the Parker Meridien Hotel is known for their breakfasts. I think they're overpriced but visitors seem to like the smoothies and the sweet things like pancakes and waffles. Large portions

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/normas/

Europa is a local chain of self serve cafes with decent pastries and breakfast sandwiches.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/europa-cafe-2/

Pret a Manger is similar

menupages.com/restaurants/pret-a-manger-12/

There are also several espresso bars in the area that are good.

For drinks....not sure what you mean by not too formal but:

Ava Lounge at the Dream Hotel is nearby

www.addisongroupnyc.com/venues/avalounge/

The Carnegie Club is near you but is also a cigar bar so that may not appeal.

…gridserver.com/index.php…

Whiskey Park on Central Park South isn't far

http://gerberbars.com/whiskey-park-ny

Flute's midtown location is near you

http://www.flutebar.com/

There are lots of restaurants nearby, all of which will have bars. Nobu 57 is one.

noburestaurants.com/fifty-seven/…

Capital Grille in the Time Life building is another (with a great pre theater dinner.

https:/…

And you're not that far from MOMA (museum of modern art) with a great bar/restaurant.

yelp.com/biz/the-bar-room-at-the-modern-new-…

You're also near a lot of other hotels...the Michelangelo is an under the radar place that has a relaxing lobby lounge serving cocktails that I like. The Peninsula is off Fifth ave., more well known/glamorous with several bars including a penthouse bar with views.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

PS and if all those are more formal than you wanted, there are quite a few Irish pub type places in the area

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Birmingham
7. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Hi thanks everyone for your suggestions the Bar room at MOMA looks good....and nywhiz Flutes also looks very nice....I will check out the capital grill for pre theatre dinner thanks.....sorry to be more clear by not to formal I ment somewhere where my husband can just wear a collered shirt rather than a jacket so still smart but relaxed (if that makes any sense) we will deffinately venture out further just wanted to make a start with ares close to our hotel....thanks again :)

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 50
8. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Sarabeth's on Central Park South has excellent breakfasts as well as comfort food through the day. When you are shopping a great place for a glass of wine or drinks, as well as people watching is Fred's the restaurant on the 9th floor of Barneys.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
9. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

From your post's title I thought you were going to ask for places where you could drink alcohol AT breakfast time....

San Frantastic
reviews: 11
10. Re: Breakfast & Alcohol

Echoing JennyR261: "From your post's title I thought you were going to ask for places where you could drink alcohol AT breakfast time...."

...AND I was thinking this was going to be the forum thread I would follow most closely forever!

:-)

That being said, I must warn you that while Norma's is highly recommended by one and all for breakfast -- and it *is* a lovely & bright little room -- they don't serve any real drinks. Not even champagne. Not even mimosas! (<---which are basically just glasses of orange juice with perfunctory splashes of champagne!) This, despite the fact that you could walk across the hotel lobby, into the hotel bar, and get a drink. INEXPLICABLE. (Also, their omelettes are flat and dry.) (<---and overpriced)

Reply to: Breakfast & Alcohol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted