We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 18
Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Hi

First off I want to thank the TA community for warning me off airbnb etc.. As I only realised through researching this forum about the legal issues and scams! I had been looking at such sites as we used them in Europe, but will steer clear now!

So now I'm looking for help with legit apartment style hotel rental. Following some advice on here I have emailed apartment2book which seems to get the approval of NYC experts? I've also looked at rates at Salisbury which may work for us. Our preference is at least one separate bedroom from living area so we can relax in a separate room to the kids once they're in bed. Also would like a fridge and if possible a kitchenette. Our budget is about $300 a night, and we will be in NYC 8th April for 7 nights. We are a family of two adults and two kids aged 4 and nearly 2. I might be wishful thinking with our budget and wants but if any group of people can point me in the right direction it would be the TA community. Would obviously prefer to be in manhattan but if Long Island or something is our only option we happy to consider it.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
1. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

I haven't been on my trip yet but I used apartments2book it was cheaper than I could have booked myself. That may not always be the case and there are 5 of us so we had less options. Apartments2book gave me about 3 options

We have booked Murray Hill East Suites when I have been mapping out our activities it seems as though it will be a convenient location for us.

Hartford...
2. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Take a look at the Hotel Beacon on the Upper West Side. It's close to the Natural history museum, Central Park, subway stations, markets, and kid friendly restaurants. The kitchenette is great. Ours came with a full sized fridge and was nicely equipped with crockery, etc. You will have to call the hotel directly to reserve the 2 bedroom/2 bath suite if you want that, although I'm sure it will be out of your budget for your dates. The typical one bedroom suite is quite large enough and the fold out couch is very comfortable for children. It's one of my favorite hotels.

The Affinia Hotels are another option as is RCA.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
3. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Your dates are showing as EXTREMELY expensive. Yes, apts2book is a good idea. In addition to the Salisbury,

radiocityapartments.com

would work for you but only their studio suites (all one big room) fall within your budget. The 1 bedrooms are more when you add taxes.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

I know you were looking at an apartment type but in Long Island City there is the Comfot Inn & Suites Hotel that fits your needs. $130/night gets you a one bedroom suite (seperate) with fridge. Just a thought. And it's about 0.2 miles from the subway which would bring you to Times Square in 15 minutes.

I'm staying there myself at the end of next April with family of 4.

Edited: 10:28 am, July 25, 2013
Astoria, New York
5. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Are you planning to bring a stroller? If yes, be aware that most subway stations do not have elevators or escalators. You will have to fold/carry the stroller up and down in many stations. SO a very lightweight one that folds easily and quickly is a good idea.

Here is a subway map. http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html the stations with a wheelchair logo will have elevator access.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
6. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

I think one big challenge is that you are looking so far in advance. Lots of hotels aren't listing with general booking sites this far ahead. I just took a look at the Excelsior Hotel in the UWS directly on their website, and even that wouldn't show availability for April. It cuts off at March. (It will probably be too costly for their 1 br suites anyway, so nevermind - unless they go on sale)

With two little ones, it may really be worth it to stay in Manhattan if you have any wiggle room in how you allocate your travel money. There are times when you may want to return to the room for a rest, and you will appreciate having interesting things within walking distance of where you are staying (e.g. restaurants, general interesting walks, etc) , rather than always having to hop on the subway to head out to a particular destination.

The Salisbury current published rates are just a bit over your budget. Consider booking a cancelable rate there, then watching as more hotels start publishing rates, and adjusting them for seasonal demand.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Hi all thanks for your suggestions.

We have heard back from apartments2book and they are suggesting Murray Hill apartments. I think maybe trying to book so far out might be our issue?? Maybe I should hold off for a few months??

Thanks also to Kaye_in_Astoria, yes we are aware of the stairs/subway issues as we have many friends and family who have been to NYC, we have already invested in a VERY lightweight easily collapsible stroller for our trip.

kiwisarah when are you travelling? I'm thinking i only got given one option from apartments2book as my dates are far away.

Christnp, good suggestion about maybe booking something that provides a free cancellation at this stage and revisit accommodation options later on.

Apartments2book are giving me the before tax rate, what is the tax rate?? I think from my research its about 14%? is that right??

Thanks again everyone for your responses

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Chelsea star is another property I have looked at and might fit our needs?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
9. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

I booked at end of Feb and we travel in Sept. They gave me the before tax rates but I asked them to tell me what it would be with tax and they did. There is also occupancy tax of $6 per night each so it all adds up very quickly.

We are paying $325 before tax etc. I have kept an eye out since and couldn't find much cheaper.

There are 5 of us though so there are a lot less options. With only 4 of you there is probably more choice. It would be a lot cheaper for you all to be in one room although I remember that very young child stage when they are going to sleep and we had one room we sometimes ended up sitting in the bathroom reading our books.LOL!!

Melbourne, Australia
10. Re: Travel with two kids, accommodation suggestions please :)

Thanks so much to everyone, just as an update we have booked Murray Hill through apartment2book for a great rate. It has a good cancellation policy so will keep looking closer to the trip to see if a better property comes up within our budget.