We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Hotel

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Hill...
reviews: 4
Budget Hotel

I would like some opinions on the following hotels as a budget minded option for visiting NYC. How close are they to the Path Train? How long does it take to get to times square? Are the hotels clean? Is the area safe? What can I expect to pay for public transportation. I realize it is an inconvenience to stay outside of Manhattan, but the price difference is dramatic. I will probably need two rooms since I will be traveling with my wife, my 21 year old son, and my 19 year old daughter. They are listed below from least expensive to most expensive, based on prices from Expedia.

Best Western Plus Robert Treat

Days Inn North Bergen

Ramada Jersey City

Holiday Inn Express North Bergen

The Holland Hotel

Comfort Suites North Bergen

Candlewood Suites Jersey City

NYC-JC Guest Suites

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
reviews: 3
1. Re: Budget Hotel

I think if your main goal is to see NYC You should stay in NYC. I beleve the only one by the path is the candlewood. I also think you would be better reposting about area on the New Jersey fourm.

Edited: 1:16 am, July 25, 2013
Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
2. Re: Budget Hotel

If Manhattan is out of budget, Long Island City is a much more convenient alternative. There are reasonable hotels one subway stop (less than 10 minutes) from Manhattan.

Queens, NY
reviews: 1
3. Re: Budget Hotel

Yes, the Candlewood Suites is the only one in an acceptable location (safe neighborhood, close to the train.) That's why these hotels are so cheap. They are either in tough areas (Ramada, Robert Treat, NYC-JC) or very inconvenient for getting to Manhattan (anything in North Bergen.) Long Island City would be a better choice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
4. Re: Budget Hotel

You can actually answer your own question by using google maps.

maps.google.com

Type at the top one of the hotel names (ie The Best Western Robert Treat Newark, NJ) to wherever in New York you want to go(I'd use maybe Penn station NYC). Then click on the train icon at the upper left for train directions and you'll see how far you have to walk and how long a commute it would be.

I've done the Robert Treat to Times Square here for you and they say it's a 12 min. walk to Newark Penn station or .6 miles. I think the hotel also has a shuttle to the train station because the area isn't very nice. But travelling from there will be 45 mins to an hour.

http://goo.gl/maps/A5nWc

I agree with the others that from your list, the Candlewood Suites is the best overall. It's actually in between 2 PATH stations (Newport and Exchange Place) so it's an 8 min. walk in one direction and a 10 min. walk in the other. Here's a map of the PATH system.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

You might have a look on Hotwire and see if any 4* hotels are available for your dates. (you can book 2 rooms on Hotwire) The 4* are all closer to a PATH station (they're the Hyatt, the Westin, the W Hoboken). The only one that's not is the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, NJ and that's a short ferry or bus ride into Manhattan.

I also agree that one of the Long Island City hotels near a subway will be cheaper for travel as it's part of the NYC subway system which you'll be using to get around in NYC while the PATH system is not.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
5. Re: Budget Hotel

Mark, I've had a look at your other thread and gotten the dates and did a Hotwire search. There is a 4* hotel in Hoboken/Jersey City for $160/night plus tax (per room each for 2 people so $320/night) that I THINK it is the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. It could also be the Westin Jersey City or the Hyatt Jersey City (either of which would be better) but I don't think it is. The cheapest rate I see for the Candlewood Suites JC is $179/night prepaid per room so this would be cheaper. The only problem with booking through Hotwire is you're not guaranteed that one room has 2 beds although you can certainly request that and they do have rooms with 2 beds. This is not near a PATH train but there's a ferry (pricey but fun) or a bus/minibus service that takes 15-30 mins. depending on traffic.

Another option you might want to consider is the Homewood Suites in Weehawken, NJ. They have a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds and a sofabed so you could all share one space for as little as $224/night plus tax if you prepay or a bit more if you don't. From here you'd need to take a bus or minibus into Manhattan but it isn't nearly as far as Secaucus.

The benefit of 2 rooms is 2 bathrooms. The Homewood Suites does come with separate sitting room though and a kitchenette.

I've had a look at the Long Island City hotels and don't see any of the ones that are well located available for your dates at less money than these others with at least 1 room with 2 beds. The Box House hotel on the border of Queens and Brooklyn is very nice and has suites that would sleep 4, but not sure if they have or allow roll away beds. The suites all seem to have a queen or king bed and a sofabed. They're all ~$300/night and it looks like there would be enough room for a roll away if they have them and allow them.

http://www.theboxhousehotel.com/

Here's a map with the hotels I've mentioned plus Candlewood, Jersey City.

http://goo.gl/maps/BVa2S

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Budget Hotel

The Homewood is actually considered in Edgewater, NJ not Weehawken as I typed above.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46408-d551012-…

I was also reminded there's this house/apt. in the Edgewater/Weehawken area that would be even cheaper.

http://www.vrbo.com/471164

Some people recently wrote a trip report having stayed there. It looks like there are 2 queen beds plus a futon so that's another option and probably cheapest.

Spring Hill...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Budget Hotel

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the wrong hotels, but all of the ones I tried in Long Island on google maps (using public transportation) was much much further away than Jersery City. Maybe they were just on the wrong end, I'm not sure. As for price comparisons of various hotels, I have been using total price with two rooms and airfare on Expedia. For example: Best Western Plus Robert Treat is $1700, Ramada Jersey City is $2005, Candlewood Suites JC is $2343, Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is $2957, Comfort Inn Edgewater $2196, The Boxhouse hotel $5961 (on Expedia with two rooms). I couldn't find a price on Expedia for Homewood Suites in Weehawken. If I really stretch my budget beyond what I wanted to, there is the Holiday Inn NYC Wall Street for $2881. It's appears to be in a great location, but it added about $500 to $1000 to the total cost; for only four days that's $125 to $250 extra per day. All the hotels that were cheaper than that and close to Manhattan either had shared bathrooms or horrible reviews.

Bradford, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
8. Re: Budget Hotel

long island city NOT long island - there is a MASSIVE difference

Melbourne
reviews: 7
9. Re: Budget Hotel

> As for price comparisons of various hotels, I have been using total price with two rooms and airfare on Expedia. <

Does this mean you are looking for package deals?

Have you tried pricing flights and hotels separately?

And as LMV said above - you want Long Island City.

Stavanger
reviews: 47
10. Re: Budget Hotel

We stayed at the Ramada Jersey City to years ago. The hotel was comfortable, and the area is not unsafe, but the Path takes a long time to run across the New Jersey side and under the Hudson river. This year we have booked at the Verve hotel in Long Island City, which gets wonderful reviews and is much closer to Manhattan. Slightly more expensive than the Ramada, but close to several subway lines and stations. And you are in New York City.