We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

I find that a lot of tourists always struggle or are intimidated by the NYC subway system, and whenever I explain it to friends and visitors, I realize that it can be a confusing system. I decided to spent some time to put together this "Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the New York City Subway System" in hope that this gets into the hands of visitors before they come to this city. I hope this helps:

http://goo.gl/3hUWp

Cheers,

Minh T. Nguyen.

PS: I hope this post doesn't get removed, as this is not spam. I am not making any money from this and am just trying to help tourists.

87 replies to this topic
florida
reviews: 16
31. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

This is brilliant, I love the pictures.

Thank you so very much

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
32. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

This is a great explanation. I had read the sticky one on the side but I couldn't really follow it and I had noticed when people ask questions they often got told a bit unkindly to read the Top Questions answer.

This now makes it quite clear and I am a lot less nervous about my trip.

Thanks

Canada
reviews: 2
33. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

I agree with you kiwisarah40. This version is much easier to follow than the sticky version. I read the sticky version for our 2011 trip but felt so overwhelmed that we did not try the subway.

After reading this version, I had the confidence to try it out just this month when we were in NYC......although, no transfers yet :)

This version should be a sticky as well!

Edited: 7:13 pm, July 24, 2013
meudon, france
34. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

How to ride with big luggage (turnstile, revolving doors)? I didn't saw this tip.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
35. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

**How to ride with big luggage (turnstile, revolving doors)? I didn't saw this tip.**

You can let the person at the booth know that you have large luggage(make sure you enter at a station that is staffed.) They will let you swipe your card and then buzz you through the "emergency" door to enter.

If you have a suitcase that can fit in the overhead storage of a plane, you can slide it under the turnstile and then swipe and walk through.

Revolving doors-now that's a problem.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
36. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

^^

To add...when you get on the subway, your suitcase/carryon does not get to take up a seat. If the train is somewhat crowded, people will expect you to move your suitcase so that they can sit.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 18
37. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

Thanks so much!!

NC
reviews: 43
38. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

This was so helpful. I have been to NY several times, but learned so much by reading this!!! Thanks for the photos and your efforts!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
reviews: 60
39. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

I did not know that solid red globes outside a station entrance means "exit only".

meudon, france
40. Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway

thanks ter1413, this can be useful for some beginners.

I took the time to read this guide, I already know the nyc subway, but I've learned so much more. Thanks to enderminh.

Reply to: Absolute Beginner's Guide on How to Use the NYC Subway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted