We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 1
So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

Im starting to make plans for my first trip to nyc and wondered how long i should stay. I am obsessed with NY so i want to go and experience everything! I have a month in my head but that would get quite costly as well. What would you recommend? also im thinking about travelling in may/june whats it like there then? i know the weather is warm then but not hot but wondered if tourists flocked at this time of the year? TIA

Sydney Australia
reviews: 9
1. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

I went in May and the weather was lovely but what is good one year may not be in the next. Impossible to say how long. I stayed for 3 weeks and certainly did not see everything. I was ( and am ) also obsessed with the place like you. You will have to accept that you won't be able to "experience everything" so work out what you most want to do and how much you can afford and then you will be able to decide on how long. A month, as you said, would be great but, yes ,it could be quite costly.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
2. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

A month would be amazing....if you can afford it.

The most important thing to start with is to figure out what your realistic approximate budget is. That will heavily dictate how long you can visit for. While there are lots of free things to see and do, and you can eat very cheaply, accommodation is pricey.

Would you only be visiting NYC? I would say 7 days in NYC would be a minimum for a first visit if you were visiting other cities too, but if it's the only place you'll be visiting I would say 2 weeks minimum to make the flight from NZ worth it!! My first visit in 2010 was for 2 weeks and I have just returned from another 11 nights. There are still lots of things I haven't seen/done/eaten.

The 11 nights my bf and I have just returned from were part of a US trip at the end of May into the first half of June this year. We got some very hot days (30+ degrees and humid) and some days with torrential rain. It's a beautiful time to visit, but it's still busy. Although saying that, NYC is busy year round!!

Auckland Region...
3. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

Im planning on going solo so i dont miss out on what i want to see. Lucky for me my partner has not got a travel bone in his body :) I want to see the main sights but not going to fall into the tourist traps. How much do you think would be realistic spending money per day taking into account the odd buy from a shop, entry to some things etc im trying to work out my budget so i can be comfortably happy to do what i want to do

Melbourne
4. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

To stay in Manhattan, budget $250/night for a hotel. If that's way out of your budget, you can stay outside of Manhattan or at a hostel (you'll need to ask for the name of legal ones, there aren't many in Manhattan).

You can get a 7 day subway pass for $31.

Google the main attractions to get entry prices.

Food depends on what you want to eat. You can pretty much eat for as little or as much as you can afford, there are huge amounts of options for both cheap eats and expensive eats.

Shopping....well, that completely depends on what type of shopping you do. Again, plenty of options at both ends of the price scale.

Auckland Region...
5. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

I just realised my question was a "how long is a piece of string?" type one. i want to stay in manhattan so that i can walk out my door and not have to travel far to be where i want to be. obviously would need to walk/taxi/subway around but to be able to just walk out would be well worth the price i would think. Im looking at places near the theatre district would that work nicely do you think? sorry for all the questions ive researched so much and so on but would love others opinions that have been there :)

Melbourne
6. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

No matter where you stay, you will be walking and using the subway to get around. As long as you're near a subway stop then you're in a good location, so start by figuring out a nightly USD budget and then narrow down locations and hotels from there. Hotel prices can change depending on dates so you'd need to decide on your exact dates before you're able to get an idea of exact prices (and wait a while for realistic May/June 2014 prices).

I agree that staying in Manhattan is the preferred option, especially for a first timer, if you can afford it :)

Auckland Region...
7. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

Yeah :) thanks for the help.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 9
8. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

Just came back from ten days in ny. We were non stop every day but I think it was a good length of time to see everything thays a must with time to spare with time.to comolete our maybes. Being there in june I think I was surprised by how hot it got and wish I packed less jeans and more shorts. In saying that we still had three says of rain (thankfilly still so much u can do indoors it doesnt matter) so was prepared with clothes! Above everything pack sneakers...my feet suffered!!!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 6
9. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

Just got back from a 2-week trip to the US, out of which 10 days were in NYC. We just about scratched the surface but were happy with how much we were able to see. We walked and walked and walked.. and took the subway of course.. Ten days to 2 weeks would be ideal, a month would be heaven!! Keep in mind hotels are expensive in May/June... we found the crowds manageable in early June. Schools were about to close for summer break, so late June may be much more crowded.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
10. Re: So how long would you recommend as a good holiday in NYC?

If you can afford it, the month would be great. We did this over Christmas - New Year and it was the best month I've ever had. Time to do lots of things and time to rest too. I'd been 3 times before (a month - 1986/7, 10 days - 1994 and 3 weeks- 2008/9). I went with my partner in 94 and 2008/9 and on my own the first trip. Even then we did a lot of the 'touristy' things (cos they're great!) and some things not so touristy.

There's a very long progressive trip report on this forum about what we did if you're still contemplating.