We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Pedro, CA
Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

The FAQs say that GoAirLink shuttle has bad reviews. Can anyone recommend a shuttle? We need to get from JFK to The Manhattan Club (56th & 7th) on Friday night May 10th. Our plane arrives at 6:15. The Manhattan Club called this morning to confirm our reservation and warned us away from any shuttle or train service and said to take a taxi. There are only two of us and when I hear "taxi" I think "expensive". Thank you!

Bradford, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
reviews: 2
1. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

no shuttles are recommended

a taxi will cost around $70 all inclusive to Manhattan

Public transport (airtrain/subway) will be much cheaper

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
2. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

The train is great, as long as you can carry your luggage. If you can't, take a taxi.

UK
reviews: 8
3. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

Airtrain / subway, we had the same dilemma, 4 adults with 4 cases plus carry-on's, had no problems at all, $30 each way for all 4 of us

San Pedro, CA
4. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

OK, looks like public transportation is the way to go. My further poking around tells me we do Air Train to Jamaica and then get on the WTC-bound E train getting off at 7th Avenue. I'm seeing that the Air Train costs $5 and then we buy subway tickets. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking we won't buy 7-day subway passes until Saturday because I think if we buy them at 7PM Friday we won't be able to use them at 9AM the following Friday to get to Penn Station to catch the train to Washington D.C.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 93
5. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

The train is excellent. Anybody at any hotel that said the train should be avoided should be fired.

Train is fast and easy. The JFK AirTrain is in each terminal. Simply get one bound for Jamaica. They're well-marked with digital displays and audible announcements - it isn't at all confusing.

At Jamaica, you can purchase one $15.00 MetroCard and the two of you can share that card. You may be charged an additional dollar to purchase the MetroCard but you can re-use that same MetroCard when you go to purchase your unlimited ride card the next morning. You can't share unlimited ride cards so you will need to buy a 2nd card - it is up to you if you want to buy two $7.50 cards or one $15.00 at Jamaica for your JFK AirTrain exit fare and subway. Either way, follow the well-marked signage to the E train. Board a Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center. Get off at 7th Avenue / 53rd St. and simply walk to your hotel.

The train is fast, frequent, well-marked, user-friendly, very safe and secure. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

You're here for a week and will have unlimited ride MetroCards - explore more than just Manhattan. Enjoy the great neighborhood restaurants in Astoria (Queens) like Malagueta for incredible Brazilian food. Get out to Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn. Visit Williamsburg in Brooklyn (Miranda is one of my favorite restaurants there). Get into the East Village - Spina is one of my favorite restaurants in the East Village. Don't stay just on the tourist circuit eating at overpriced places serving mediocre food to the masses of tourists.

San Pedro, CA
6. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

Thank you all for your reassurances about the train! This is only our second trip to NYC, but we've been to Paris four times, don't speak a word of French, and managed to get from CDG to our timeshare in Vincennes via the Metro, so I think we can manage in New York next month. And we've long subscribed to the one bag/carry-on only regimen so dragging our bags along behind us shouldn't be an issue. Being from Los Angeles where we are so spread out and everyone drives we always enjoy cities with great public transportation systems and/or great, walkable areas where there is lots to see, do, shop and especially eat!

7. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, April 30, 2013
Edited: 2:35 pm, April 30, 2013
8. Re: Recommendation for a shuttle from JFK to Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 02, 2014