We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball Game

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
reviews: 82
Baseball Game

We are over to NYC for a week at the end of May and would like to take in a METS game.

Any advice on where best to sit, protocol etc?. I've had a look at the METS site and the tickets range from $29 to $100's.

There's something called a Power Pack ticket (including a free hot dog!) at $29 in the Baseline Box or Left Field Landing - I have no idea what any of that means!

We just want to experience a game and the atmosphere really - any advice most appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 18
1. Re: Baseball Game

I am a Yankees fan and have never been to Citi Field [which I continue to call Shea Stadium]. Here is the web site with regard to the Power Pack tickets. …mlb.com/nym/ticketing/power_pack.jsp. The cheaper seats are in left field. Look over the shoulder of the family in the web site portrait and you will get a sense of the view. It seems that for an additional costs, you can upgrade the seats to be closer down to the field. But, if you are just there for the atmosphere, the cheaper seats should be just fine. The Mets on the other hand....

Norwich, United...
reviews: 82
2. Re: Baseball Game

Thank you!

I have just been recommended to go to a Yankees game instead - any advice most welcome. Best place for tickets? We are over 23rd - 30th May.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 56
3. Re: Baseball Game

If you can swing it, there is nothing like a ballgame at night. When it gets dark and they turn on the lights, it's like Dorothy walking out of her crashed house and into the colorful Oz.

Pjk

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 134
4. Re: Baseball Game

Baseball and all outdoor sports should only be placed in the daytime.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 43
5. Re: Baseball Game

These are your options the week you're here:

Friday 5/24-Saturday 5/25-Sunday 5/25 --> the Mets play the Atlanta Braves at Citi Field (the Yankees are away)

Monday 5/27-Tuesday 5/28 --> the Mets play the Yankees at Citi Field

Wednesday 5/29-Thursday 5/30 --> the Yankees play the Mets at Yankee Stadium

The two NY teams play each other only once a year; the games are called the Subway Series. These games are more likely to sell out.

As a Mets fan, I know Citi Field better, but I have been to some Subway Series games at Yankee Stadium. In either ballpark I prefer field level seats in the infield, which is between home plate and first base on one side and between home plate and third base on the other. Sitting in these seats, you're close to the action and most of the players are facing you. These are of course the most expensive seats.

If you have outfield seats, you could be watching the action at a distance - from across the outfield - and most of the players will have their backs to you. Because of this, I prefer infield seats one level up to outfield seats at field level. The cheapest seats are going to be at the highest level and/or furthest into the outfield.

If you choose to go to the Mets vs. Atlanta games, I'd recommend having a look on StubHub...

StubHub is the official MLB ticket resale site (although the Yankees and the LA Angels have opted out of the contract this year). Many of the sellers are season ticket holders selling off games they won't attend. Others are people who bought tickets to a particular game that they later found themselves unable to attend.

If the game is a sell-out, tickets will be selling for above face value on StubHub. But if there are still face-value tickets for a game available from the Mets box office, then the tickets on StubHub should be selling for less than face value. The sellers have already paid for a ticket they're not going to use and would rather get something for it than nothing.

The closer it gets to game day, the cheaper the remaining tickets get - StubHub has an automated mechanism that keeps dropping the price (within parameters set by the ticket seller). Since most of the tickets are delivered by email, if a game is not likely to sell out you can often buy them last-minute at fire sale prices.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the game!

6. Re: Baseball Game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 26, 2014