We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Inverness, Canada
Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Hi

Travelling to NYC with my 16 yr old daughter. May 16 to the 20th. Once in a lifetime trip. I have been several times first time for my girl. We live in a very rural setting in Cape Breton. Were talking a one grocery store Village but beautiful. So want to take in the big city.

My husband is a professional visual artist and although he will be home working in our Gallery we really like the artsy scene if that helps. Dance, music, theatre and of course art.

We got great tickets to the Balelt at the Met. for sat which will be a highlight for our trip.

Planning to shop Thrusday/Friday, sight see sat/sun and then leave monday for last minute what we missed. Does this make sense?

Shopping will include looking for unique/bargains forever 21, century 21, perhaps an interesting market and oogling the upscale stores. Macy and bloomingdales. Getting our make up done somewhere like a cosmetic counter. Any suggestions for the first?

We are thinking of a food walking tour. Maybe hells kitchen or Greenwich Village. Any suggestions? Would love a combo food tour and history or interesting stories of the neighborhood.

A broadway show - Wicked, or Kinky Boots, and I'll Eat You last. Now I am a huge Bette Midler fan but the prices. So one or two of these. Maybe and evening and afternoon show or only one. Suggestions?

An Italian Restaurant to die for. Any suggestions.. Mid range does not need to be high end. We want authentic food not chains.

Desserts, perhaps a place for after the shows if possible? Any suggestions? Clearly we will not be bar hoping :)

Planning on doing top of the rock, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Brooklyn bridge maybe the hop on hop off, stain island ferry, Soho, Central Station, Rockefellow Place. We really do not want to run from one tour to another. We want time to just absorb the city and just enjoy.

So the big questions what have we missed...in a city that never sleeps. I just mean is there a must do out there?

Oh yes any restaurant suggestions would be great $$, $$$ and of course $ and bagels. cheese cake.

Not afraid to use the subway.

Sorry for such a long post thanks for any help.

Sooooo excited.

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Scroll down the right column of this page where it says "Top questions about New York City" for topics that interest you and you'll get lots of information that way.

Scrolling further down the right column you'll see "New York City trip ideas" with recommended itineraries, which will give you alot of food for thought. For example, there's a trip idea called "Day trips: Girl Getaway" -- and even though you'll be in NYC for more than a day, perhaps those ideas will help.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19795-Girls_ju…

You can also go to the New York City forum and put in specific search terms, then sort by relevance or date:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

reviews: 34
2. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

My teens have loved Uniqlo on 5th ave. been there twice this week already.

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 133
3. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Strongly suggest Wicked..... great show for your daughter!

Also, plenty of performances available at the fabulous parks of NYC.... we saw violinists and harpists in Central Park and a pianist in Washington Square Park.... not to mention the beautiful scenery and the people-watching.... Would also suggest a sunset trip to Riverside Park (just 4 long blocks from the 72nd Street Subway Station).... perfect spot to walk at sunset or sit down and enjoy a lemonaide at one of the cafes....

I also enjoyed a rehearsal at Lincoln Center, so if prices are a concern check them out... great performances at less than half the price!

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful trip......

Edited: 9:00 am, March 28, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 44
4. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Go To Soho, Walk down broadway plenty of shops that she should love. Top shop, H&m, Bloomingdale's etc. Use yelp.com to find a place to eat. Walk all the way across the brooklyn bridge to the park in Brooklyn overlooking the sky line, then explore dumbo.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 16
5. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

For dance I'd suggest checking out the Joyce Theater which is all dance all the time in a relatively intimate setting with lots of variet http://www.joyce.org/

Alabama
reviews: 37
6. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Took my 18 yr. old for her graduation last May. We saw and LOVED "Wicked". Shopped at Urban Outfitters, Macy's, Forever 21 (every girl's dream store!!!), DSW (shoes and more shoes!), popped into Tiffany's. Went to 9/11 Memorial and the chapel, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, tour of the financial district (which put us right onto the SOL ferry afterwards), Madame Tassaud's, Top of the Rock, the Live with Kelly show, the Today Show, and Central Park. Ate at Junior's one night to say we did, and of course we were in Times Square each night. Oh, almost forgot....backstage tour of Radio City Music Hall and meeting a Rockette! The other show we saw is closed now and if she loves dance, she would've loved it..."Anything Goes"....just chock-full of tap!

Inverness, Canada
7. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Thanks so much. Like the Soho suggestion. I have booked Westin Times square for three of our nights. Still on the fence. I got a great rate for the last three nights but booking the first night there makes up for it? Thought about staying in the soho area the first night. Not sure if that would be too much of a pain to move. Looks like same prices. Any recommedations for first night?

Checking out dance site now. Love the tips.

Inverness, Canada
8. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

Wow Alabama what a trip. How long was your stay? You sound like me LOL

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 44
9. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

i wouldnt bother moving hotels..

NYC is super easy to get around. You can stay anywhere and take mass transit.

10. Re: Trip with 16 year old daughter - suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 30, 2014