We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
reviews: 26
Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Hi everyone! We are travelling to NYC from March 14-18. We've been there 4 times so we've done the basic touristy stuff already. We are staying at the Sofitel and here are our plans so far, I'm looking for some insight on filling in the gaps:

Thursday: arrive JFK around 4pm, taxi to hotel, drop of bags, etc. Dinner at Becco at 7pm, drinks at the W in times square after maybe?

Friday: not sure yet -- need help! perhaps Central Park in the morning for a stroll? Tiffany's? perhaps take a subway to Brooklyn to explore and have lunch? Walk the bridge back? Reservations at Dos Caminos SoHo at 6:15, Comedy Cellar 8:45pm show.

Saturday: my 25th birthday! Light breakfast, Food truck tour of midtown booked through Sidewalks of New York at 12:30 for a couple of hours (no calories on your birthday!). Maybe try to catch some of the Paddy's Day parade? All afternoon is free -- looking for suggestions here. Top of the Rock at 6:15 for sunset, reservations at One if by Land, Two if by Sea at 8:15.

Sunday: drink in an Irish bar all day? no plans for this day at all -- please help!

Neither of us are big museum or broadway show buffs, we just like to explore, take it all in and people watch. We also love to try different types of food, not too concerned about price. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! :) only 2 more weeks - the countdown is on!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 28
1. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

You could do lunch at the Central Park Boat house on Fri.

Maybe try the Sunday Brunch here

www.theviewnyc.com

Look for night life options here

www.ohmyrockness.com

Or

www.timeoutny.com

Also consider Chelsea Market & the High line park

Happy birthday and have fun!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
2. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Meaning no disrespect, my overall comment about your plans is....very touristy and very touristy eating places. I don't know if the restaurants are places you've been before and like (so don't want to dis them too much) or places people told you about....but imo in each and every case you can do better and find more interesting food. If you want other options, you really do have to say what kind of food because while you say you like all kinds, your choices are pretty "safe". I will say if you want to eat at Becco, at least go after 8 pm when the theater people are in the theaters and it's a lot less crowded.

There's nothing special about the bar at the W Times Square. The View at the top of the Marriott Marquis revolves. The Royalton hotel on the same block as the Sofitel is trendier and cooler.

The parade is on SUNDAY. I agree that brunch on weekends is a NYC tradition and doesn't appear on your agenda. What about the

brooklynflea.com

What about a ride on the Roosevelt Island tram for views?

St. John's, Canada
reviews: 26
3. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Yes the restaurants were picked based on piles of reviews I've read. For my birthday I wanted a romantic restaurant for after our sunset on TOTR, on every single list I found One if by land, after tossing it up with Gramercy Tavern and Collicchio and Sons we settled on that one.

I read on a few other threads and online that the parade is on Saturday even though Paddy's Day is on Sunday, st-patricks-day.com/st_patricks_day_parade_n… so that's why we had planned to catch some of it on Saturday?

Is the High Line park a good idea in March?

We have a few touristy things planned (my 5th trip to NYC but my boyfriends second, so there's a few things he wants to see), we're looking for different options to fill the gaps on Friday and Sunday. Brunch is a great idea! thanks!

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Do the Highline based on the weather the day you want to go - it could be rainy or uncomfortably cold for you. Or, you could have a beautiful day to enjoy it.

CANNOCK, UK
reviews: 25
5. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Hope you have a great time! If you like fish, Foleys has a great view of Times Square! City crab is awesome (and does great cocktails!) but is more TGI's style than wow factor.

I tend to go in March, and is a great time to be outdoors - sunny and cool, so the high line should be great.

Meat packing district used to be great for people watching....

CANNOCK, UK
reviews: 25
6. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

Hope you have a great time! If you like fish, Foleys has a great view of Times Square! City crab is awesome (and does great cocktails!) but is more TGI's style than wow factor.

I tend to go in March, and is a great time to be outdoors - sunny and cool, so the high line should be great.

Meat packing district used to be great for people watching....

7. Re: Basic Itinerary - looking for some suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 03, 2014