We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
What to wear?

The hubby and I shall be in NYC aprox 17 Oct - 5 Nov, 2013. This is our 1st ever overseas trip. I am a 42 year old female from Far North Queensland, Australia. Surrounded by tropical rainforests and beaches, with no real winter. I gather we should be dressing in 'layers' and have waterproof comfy closed in footwear, with the optional extra scarf & gloves. I'm still trying to decide on what type of bag to carry - I hate backpacks. What do you suggest for practicality? A large zip up leather handbag/tote? Oh and what is a 'pashima'? (if I even wrote it correctly!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 83
1. Re: What to wear?

I'd suggest all that you've already said. My wife uses a large tote in NYC, or a smaller shoulder bag if out in the evening with less to carry.

If you don't have many of these things NYC is a great place to shop and buy some.

A Pashmina is a shawl or scarf. Better ones are made of fine goats wool (where the names comes from) but you will find cheaper alternatives/versions including many street vendors selling them from tables on street corners. Good to wrap around on cool evenings. Might make a souvenir?

Do an internet search and you will see plenty of websites with pictures etc.

My daughter is in Whitsunday right now so I understand the change in climate it means for you!

Edited: 6:28 am, February 20, 2013
Cairns, Australia
2. Re: What to wear?

Thanks for the speedy reply it was very helpful. The note on the souvenir was great too. That's one or two gifts out of the way for relatives in Brissy.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 28
3. Re: What to wear?

I prefer a crossbody bag. It keeps my hands free and I can keep it in front of me where I can see it. Having said that' I'll sometimes take a bag I normally use at home assuming it is light.

Personally, I dislike backpacks. I find people forget they have them on and tend to smack people in the face. More importantly, I can't see the bag. I would spend too much time worrying about the bag.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 83
4. Re: What to wear?

You're welcome.

You could take a pair of Uggs to wear in the street on dryer cold days. That may seem crazy to you but they are popular to wear outside in NYC and the UK. Not so much when it's wet.

…vogue.com.au/archive/index.php/t-370987.html

I'm not so sure they're a good choice as you are likely to be doing a lot of walking.

Have a great trip.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
5. Re: What to wear?

My favorite-ever NYC street vendor sign:

Genuine Pashminas - 100% acrylic - $10

They're good for any kind of traveling, especially on airplanes which are always too cold.

I don't understand why people need backpacks. I put the bare necessities in a small cross body bag. If you want casual there are nylon ones that are very light-weight; if you like nicer there are leather ones. Since most New Yorkers don't drive around in a car all day, they require a bigger selection of bags to schlep stuff around in, so it's a great place to find bags of all kinds, from tiny to gigantic, cheap to expensive. Lots of choices.

New York City
reviews: 3
6. Re: What to wear?

Note that late October and the beginning of November is not winter in New York City, but is still autumn; gloves and scarves should not be necessary unless you are very sensitive to the cold.

Edited: 9:48 am, February 20, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 10
7. Re: What to wear?

Because everyone has their own personal preferences? I have been using nothing but a backpack for more than 20 years and would never get a cross body bag as I don't care for them. It has nothing to do with "needing" one.

I always remove the bag off my back when on a crowded subway or any other crowded space but most of the time, it is firmly on my back and I've never had any problems with it - I like the balance it gives me on my back -

People should just use whatever is most comfortable for them. Just do not ever put whatever bag you choose to use on an empty chair in a cafe/restaurant or on the back of your chair (inside or outside) or out of sight anywhere when trying on clothing, etc

Same old common sense you would use anywhere. And, yes, if you choose a backpack, do drop it down off your back in crowded places of any kind - but, I find that most people do have the courtesy to do so; if they don't, it may be they are just not courteous people in general -

Edited: 10:09 am, February 20, 2013
Houston, Texas
reviews: 18
8. Re: What to wear?

I'm with GWB here, I suspect you will have glorious fall weather during that time, not bitter cold by any means.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
9. Re: What to wear?

BatteryPark, I pay $5/piece for those pashminas in midtown and Soho. Maybe Battery Park is the high rent district. ;)

New York City
reviews: 3
10. Re: What to wear?

The other problem with backpacks is that they are the pickpocket's delight -- they are out of your sight, and easier to get into than most other types of bags. Anyone who carries a wallet or a good phone in a backpack (and you see oblivious people very publicly putting such things in back packs, and then putting the backpacks on, all the time) is crazy -- and no, zipping it up isn't good enough; a skilled thief will slit your backpack with a single-edge razor blade to take the item and you will never feel a thing.