We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 5
hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

we are planning a cruise from manhattan in september but will arrive a day early. we fly into jfk. is it better to stay at a hotel near the airport and then be transported to the terminal the next day or to reserve a room at a hotel near the cruise terminal? we would like a moderate price, not expensive.

Seattle
reviews: 20
1. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Assuming you are actually leaving from the Manhatten cruise terminal, it would better to stay in Manhatten. You will need to give your actual budget to get better suggestions. Note that September is an expensive time to be in NYC. Moderate price means different things to different people. I might think $400 a night is moderate. Would that be what you consider moderate?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
2. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Well, there are no hotels right by the cruise terminal, so no matter where you're starting from, you'll need to take a cab to the terminal. The hotels by JFK have no easy access to anything at all, and you generally have to take a shuttle from the hotel back to the airport to get a cab, so unless you REALLY can't afford to stay somewhere with subway access, I wouldn't stay by the airport.

When are you coming, how many of you are there, how many beds do you need, and what's your budget for the hotel?

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 5
3. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "moderate"- maybe "cheap" is better... $400. is expensive to me. So, is it better to book a hotel around Broadway or where else for the night so we can explore a little and get transportation from there to the cruise terminal the following day? I know that's it's not going to be easy to find a reasonable hotel rate but I have to start somewhere.

jibble

Scotland, UK
reviews: 133
4. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

What is the exact date of your stay?

Have you looked at Holiday Inn NYC 57th st?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
5. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Sept hotel prices are very expensive. What's the date, how much so you want to spend and how much actual time do you have here?

Seattle
reviews: 20
6. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Jibble, you're missing the point. You need to give a $ amount that you are willing to spend. Cheap means different things too. In September you might have a hard time finding a "cheap" hotel in the Broadway/Times Square area. My sister and I have left from both the Manhattan and Brooklyn cruise terminals and have stayed both times in Manhattan. Once at the Affinia 50, once at a Comfort Inn in mid-town. Neither option was cheap by my standards. Both were close to $300 I believe. If you are expecting to pay under $200 that might be difficult for Manhattan in September. But you do really need to answer the questions asked regarding how much you are willing to spend(actual $ figure) and how many of you there are and how many beds you need and how many nights you are staying. With that information the wonderful experts on this forum will be able to give some options that fit your needs. Enjoy your cruise. It's always fun sailing out of NYC!

New York City
reviews: 3
7. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Note that to a New Yorker, "Broadway" is a very long street, not a neighborhood, and "near Broaway" does NOT mean the same thing as "in the theater district". Broadway begins near the southern tip of Manhattan Island, travels for 13 miles the whole length of Manhattan, and then continues through the Bronx and Westchester County for another 30 miles north. A hotel can be on Broadway itself, but still miles from the theater district. Also note that there is no real need to stay in the theater district unless you are going to the theater.

As noted above, for the best help you need to give very specific answers to the very specific questions you have been asked:

*What are your exact dates?

* What is your budget per night as a DOLLAR FIGURE?

* How many are you, and how many beds do you need?

Edited: 6:56 pm, February 08, 2013
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 96
8. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

Long Island City is an excellent neighborhood in Queens - just across the East River from Midtown Manhattan. This is a great location for moderately priced hotels.

Bear in mind that the first half of September is the U.S. Open and it takes place in Queens so those hotels (which would ordinarily be less economical / better value) are insanely expensive too.

Staying out at JFK Airport is a really horrid - terrible idea.

Giving us dates will help us help you - sort of a waste of time speaking generally about hotel rates in September (kind of like talking about the general weather in Arizona if I don't tell you whether I'm talking about January or July)

9. Re: hotels near jfk or manhattan cruise terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 10, 2014