We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whiting Indiana
reviews: 45
where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

I have 4 adults and 1 child. Any thoughts. Are there any suite type places or something that would work for us, Would it be cheaper to stay in Jersey and if so where would you recommend.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 61
1. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

What is the objective of the tripi? Do you plan to "see new york city" for a week or is it just a short stop on a 3 week road trip of the Northeast?

What's "better" for you? Do you want a hotel with a tourist site or two within a 10 minute walk or are you ok with a 30 minute commute to the city?

You'll ge the best answers if you tell poeple what you plan to do in New York City, how old is the child? How many beds you need (two doubles for the adults plus a sofa for teh child?) And most importantly, how much are you willing to pay per night, BEFORE the addtition of approximately 15% tax?

Happy Planning!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
2. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

Hey amysmom50:-) Am sure if you provide specific dates and a budget spread, you'll get some good recs here;-) ENjoY!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
3. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

You could find cheaper accommodation in NJ but you will sacrifice convenience. That commute each day can end up limiting what you do vs being able to easily get back to your hotel to recharge and head out again.

July and August can have some excellent NYC hotel sale prices, but it will be too early to see them all. Many hotels won't even list booking availability with the major booking sites this far in advance, and many that do may not be listing fully adjusted prices.

If waiting makes you nervous, book something that is acceptable and can be canceled without a fee, then look again closer to travel time.

There are apartment style suite hotels that can work for 4 adults and a child, especially if the 4 adults sleep two to a bed. Affinia.com has a number of properties like this. The Hotel Beacon on the UWS is another frequently recommended option. There are others as well. Search the forum for "apartment style hotels".

conn
reviews: 39
4. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

Atlantic City is a great pick in NJ

Whiting Indiana
5. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

we are planning to do some sighseeing. the child has acting camp for the week. I thought apartment style or somewhere where there is a pull out would be best. i don't mind a 20 or so minute commute, if the price would be that much less. I have a friend in Paramus and I found that the commute is not too bad. We are going the week of Aug. 4th and are just visiting New York. someone mentioned Atlantic City but that is too far. I will check websites later when the date is closer but would like to get a list together before then, 'thanks for all your help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

Are you planning on renting a car or are you driving here? If not, Paramus is a ridiculous idea. It's a suburban area where everyone drives to get around. There are no true suite hotels (with 1 bedroom suites) in nearby New Jersey (Jersey City and Hoboken) near a PATH train (like a subway connecting NYC to NJ. There's a Candlewood Suites in Jersey City but it's all studio suites. The closest area with real suites is Secaucus/Meadowlands but from there, the commute is by bus and can take as long as an hour (or more) into Manhattan, esp. during rush hour.

Where is the acting camp? What are the hours of the camp (what time does she have to be there and what time does she leave?)

How many beds do you need?

What are the exact dates?

What's your target nightly budget?

Will you have a car?

Whiting Indiana
7. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

I have stayed with my friend in Paramus before and am very familiar with the area. We were thinking of staying in New York for the convenience or I thought maybe on the Jersey side of the Hudson.

I will need at least 3 beds...more would be better.

The camp is in the theatre district I will have a better address after Thursday when we are meeting as a group. I am not planning on renting a car. We plan to stay the week of August 4.....I am hoping to do about $50 per adult per night or so. Maybe we could get an apartment???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
8. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

You've stayed with your friend who I assume has a car. Without a car, staying in Paramus makes no sense. The Skyline hotel is a motel type place just west of the theater district in Manhattan with a somewhat rare for NYC indoor pool. They have a jr. Suite with 2 queen beds and a sofabed for ~$335/night plus tax. on kayak.com I think it's a very good option and far more convenient than staying in NJ.

There are some legal apt hotels like

Radiocityapartments.com

Nycsalisbury.com

Affinia.com

Milburnhotel.com

Beaconhotel.com

But they're likely to be more $$. Private apt rentals are illegal in NYC.

Nottingham, UK
reviews: 65
9. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

Hi Amysmom

We are regular visitors to NYC and our favourite hotel so far has been the Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey. It has a PATH station next door which gets you downtown in around 10 minites I think it was.

The hotel was lovely and we really enjoyed walking along the river. We prefer it to Manhattan as you can get away from the hustle and bustle - and the view over the water of Manhattan is breathtaking.

10. Re: where to stay new york or jersey first week of August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 pm, May 06, 2013
Edited: 12:32 pm, May 06, 2013