We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for place for breakfast near times square -

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethlehem...
reviews: 31
looking for place for breakfast near times square -

looking for a nice place for breakfast this weekend. we do not want a touristy place, but also don't want a cramped diner , willing to taxi to a different area if there is a nice place

New York City
reviews: 3
1. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

What you are looking for does not exist. Times Square is ONLY touristy stuff; it is avoided as much as possible by most of us who live here (and it is not the center of the action, or walking distance to all sights, or a great place for dining and nightlife, or any of the other things that first-time visitors so mistakenly think about it.) The one advantage that Times Square has is that there is a large subway station complex under it that allows you to get out of Times Square quickly -- and you want to take the subway, not a taxi.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "cramped diner"; what makes a diner any mroe "cramped" than any other restaurant? Frankly, some diners I might think of (such as my old standby the Skylight on 34th Street near Ninth Avenue) have considerably more room at the table than some famous "nice" places

And when you say you want a nice place for breakfast, are you acually talking about basic bacon and eggs, or pancakes, or are you talking about something fancier?

Edited: 11:34 pm, December 10, 2012
Bethlehem...
2. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

Yes, I totally agree that Times Square area is nothing but tourists. Unfortunately our friends chose this location, staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on west 40 th street arriving Friday to see a Jimmy Fallon taping leaving Saturday late day.

Sorry for the confusion on the breakfast question, when I refer to cramped diner, I mean the very narrow eating establishments where you are basically touching the person behind you with your chair. I did not mean diners specifically, I actually enjoy eating at locally owned diners in many cities and yes looking for the traditional pancake and eggs.

Also, if you could suggest a few places either for drinks and or dinner I would also appreciate it. I also love home furnishings and small home accessories, is their a particular area of New York that has more of these types of shops?

Finally, what is your opinion on the Barcelona Bar? A friend of mine suggested stopping by for a "Harry Potter flaming shot" doesn't seem like a place you could sit and talk, but looked rather interesting as a novelty place to try once in your life

Thanks so much for your help..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 11
3. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

Yelp brings up quite a few options near Times Square and I don't think they would all be bad.

http://tinyurl.com/ah3vpcr

New York City
4. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

Ok, in that case a good bet for breakfast near your hotel might be the Red Flame, which is a traditional local diner/coffee shop, and not cramped. You will be on 40th on the block west of Sixth Avenue; the Red Flame is on 44th Street on the block east of Sixth Avenue -- so about a five minute walk straight up Sixth, and then turn right.

The home furnishings stores you mention are scattered around, but two places that leap to mind and that are close to each other are ABC Carpet and Home (two stores on Broadway at 19th Street across the street from each other) and Fishs Eddy, which is also at Broadway and 19th Street.

http://www.abchome.com/

http://www.fishseddy.com/

And sorry, but I have never heard of the Barcelona Bar -- and what you say about what it serves makes me happy I have not...

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
reviews: 26
5. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

The Barcelona Bar is on 8th Ave, and is very small indeed http://www.barcelonabarnyc.com/ its got reasonable reviews however due to their bar staff. Dont think its a romantic night out but yeah could be good for a laugh. Sorry you got attacked for asking your questions lol.

6. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, December 11, 2012
Edited: 8:05 am, December 11, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
7. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

There are dozens of nicer breakfast places imo;, esp. if you're willing to travel.. The only thing going for the Red Flame imo is the location relative to the hotel. What do you plan to do after breakfast? What kind of food do you want for dinner? Budget?

New York City
8. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

Horizon2006, no one "attacked" celebrateliving; I am surprised you would malign other posters that way.

Whiz, I suggested Red Flame because for things like pancakes or eggs, it's fine, and as noted it is easy to get there from the hotel.

Edited: 9:38 am, December 11, 2012
Bethlehem...
9. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

Wow, this is my first blog experience, and a learning one!

. Questions:

We plan to shop for Christmas, but want to see different stores other then Macy's and the usual stores we can see at our malls. We love good food and are willing to pay for it, but prefer to stay away from the 200 to 300.00 a couple restaurants in the city.

I definitely appreciate the specific recommendations, and also the suggestions which are close to the hotel. I realize the city is HUGE and full of places to explore, obviously we are limited with 2 days. However, i appreciate all the posts and if unable to take advantage this trip will record for future trips.

Thank you

Cambridge, MA
reviews: 10
10. Re: looking for place for breakfast near times square -

A personal favorite for breakfast is Cafe Nicole at Novotel New York at 226 W. 52nd Street, just West of Broadway. You take the elevator from street level up to the 7th floor lobby, so this is hidden from tourists passing by and pretty much only has hotel guest clientele. It's a bright, attractive room with 2 story wrap-around floor to ceiling windows (see pics at the hotel website) and views of Broadway looking South into Times Square. They offer a breakfast buffet and a surprisingly reasonably priced a la carte breakfast menu.