We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold Weather Shoes.....

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 2
Cold Weather Shoes.....

Coming from "SUNNY" LA to NYC in January. What type of shoes/boots are good for the MAN in my life? I bought a pair of Ecco boots made with Goretex.........Our travels to the cold are few and far between so a major investment is not an option.............

Brewster, New York
reviews: 25
1. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

The most important feature is COMFORT! Second, water proof. Third, warmth. Ankle high or a wee bit higher will be more than enough to handle piles of snow if you encounter it while you're here.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
2. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

Is the purpose of the boots to mainly keep his feet warm, or are you planning to for snow? Personally, wearing GORETEX all day can be stifling to the feet as it doesn't give much breathing room. I also wouldn't take a shoe that hasn't been well broken into on a trip that requires a lot of walking. Does he have any kind of ankle shoes or boots? You can start spraying it with waterproof for leather, do that several times, letting it dry in between. I also buy sheepskin insoles that I put inside a shoe, a loose one, and that really helps keep the foot warm.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

I wear just standard loafers all day long unless it snows no matter what the temp, I think you are making too much out of this. We have cold you have earthquakes. You just deal with it

Edited: 1:53 pm, December 09, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 145
4. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

Frye boots are a good option. Skip leather soles. Go for traction just in case it goes all icey on you.

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

Agree with traction and a warm insulation. Have discovered that you can get some sort of shearling insoles and they are wonderful. Keep you warm and ward off blisters.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 23
6. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

Lambs wool liners are great for keeping your feet warm... but they can be bulky so they are best in wider shoes/boots..I have mine in a pair of Campers boots that are mid calf length...rubber soles.....perfect for Northern Hemisphere winters.

For those reading this thread in Australia and are curious about where to get the lambswool liners....they used be available in Chemists, but that product is off the market now, I've found them in shoe repairers (and even saw them in a supermarket the other day!!)

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

This side of the globe, if you can't find them with your cobbler, try AMAZON.com.

yes, the occupy "space" and best worn on looser shoes.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
8. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

The cold is easy to deal with ... sneakers and good socks will work. But snow is different.

Some men wear a light hiking boot with a good sock in the winter time. Maybe like this:

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/full.search.php?searchdata=men%27s+hiking+boot&Category=FOOTWEAR&BrandName=&per=

Or something more stylish with a 'tread' like this: http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/EC1325044-5184430/Bass/Gaucho+Brown/Mens+Edmond.aspx

Houston, Texas
reviews: 16
9. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

I have been to NY twice in February and didn't do anything special for shoes. Unless you're planning a day trip to a ski resort, the usual recommendation for good walking shoes will be fine. The sidewalks won't be knee deep in snowbanks.

Vancouver, Canada
10. Re: Cold Weather Shoes.....

sidewalks can be slippery and falling during holiday is not fun. breaking bones, even worse. best to have a grip on the soles. you don't need it, fine, but why risk it?

I like to err in the caution.