We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 3
Travellers Cheques?

I am heading out to NYC in December and was wandering - are travellers cheques still used / accepted? I would plan on perhaps taking an amount of cash, some cheques and also credit card. I don't like to rely on credit card (not a big fan of plastic) but obviously I do not want to carry a large amount of cash.

Are cheques easily cashed in or do stores accept them as they are?

Bradford, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
reviews: 2
1. Re: Travellers Cheques?

I think TC are now outdated. Have you looked at the pre paid cards as another option like caxton or fairfx?

Essex
reviews: 23
2. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Hi, we always take a mix of USD cash and American Express USD travellers cheques and have never had any problem using them when in Ny. We are visiting in three weeks and will be doing the same as we have always done taking a mix of both. You will however need to have photo iD on you to use them. Passport or full UK DL.

Thanks,

Gem

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
3. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Travelers Cheques are still accepted but they're very last century and pretty expensive.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4891385…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
reviews: 25
4. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Thing is, it's not just about whether they are accepted or not. It's how much they cost.

There is always a small premium attached to a travellers cheque, and then the exchange rate is the same as cash. So you're already paying more. Cash is OK, but PrePaid Cards like LMV says, such as FairFX and Caxton FX offer better rates, and then you have your normal bank card you can use, but sometimes that costs a fair bit to use with loading and fees etc.

The very best cards, are MetroBank and Norwich & Peterborough Building Society, neither of which are near you, but Travellers Cheques, while useful in the 80's, really are not that good these days.

Hopefully you've got enough time, to get a PrePaid Card, as I think this will be the best way for you to take money to NYC with you. You can use them as an ATM Card, or just pay for goods with them.

M

New York City, New...
reviews: 62
5. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Hardly anone uses TC. Just use Credit Cards and cash at smaller stores. You will save much fees and time in this way. If you are good at accounting for your trip, you should be fine, no?

Northampton, United...
reviews: 73
6. Re: Travellers Cheques?

My credit card company told me they charge 2.9 percent per transaction so I will try not to use .I did get a travelex card as I was running low on time but next time I will go for Caxton FX

You can check your balance online and if the worst happens they can get money to you in 24 hrs. Sound advice from M4RKM.

Scotland, UK
reviews: 126
7. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Lou, I can understand your desire to use travellers cheques as I have had issues with using cards abroad (mainly because I forgot to advise them I was going abroad). You can still use traveller cheques if you wish but if you take a mix of cash, traveller cheques and a prepaid card this time next time you may have the confidence to drop the TCs next time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 242
8. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Just a point of information..... Cost is or may not be a big issue....Travellers cheques (in the USA) may not have a cost....A few banks,credit unions, as well as the AAA offer them free to members. From my AAA membership page.....

The Convenience of AAA Travelers Checks

As part of your AAA membership, travelers checks and dual-signature checks can be purchased without a fee at your local AAA club office. The dual-signature checks allow two parties to sign the checks so either one can use them.

Travelers checks allow you to travel overseas and carry as much money as you need to cover expenses on your trip. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that should they go missing or get stolen, you can receive replacement checks, so you won’t lose any money … or any time enjoying your trip.

Belfast, United...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Thanks for all your replies. I had read about those pre-paid cards and thought it was a great idea... but then I read some reviews which were far from impressive.

I may have to stick with credit card and cash.

Bradford, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
10. Re: Travellers Cheques?

Im sure TC also have some bad reviews as well!