We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sweden
reviews: 29
Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

I know you get a lot of questions regarding transportation options to and from airports all the time. My apologies for asking yet another one of these, but I'm trying to make the best informed decision I can.

I will be arriving at Newark airport and will need to get Cosmopolitan hotel in Tribeca (at West Brodway and Chambers street).

Trying to figure out if I should go with the most convenient but expensive experience which would be cab or car service which would drop me off right at the hotel or if I should go with the most economical option which would be 12.50 for NJ transit and then take the subway to Chambers street station served by line 1, 2 and 3. (since I'll be buying a 7-day metrocard anyhow the subway part would be paid for anyhow by using the card).

I'm slightly worried about how easy / difficult navigating the turnstiles with a large and fairly heavy suitcase would be at Penn station and the Chambers street 1, 2, 3 station? I have a slight mobility / balance issue that makes me move rather slowly. And I can't remember if those stations have the high turnstiles or the low ones from my previous visit which is something you could probabaly give an answer to.

Using the subway in NYC without a large suitcase isn't a problem for me despite my balance issues but with one, perhaps the cab or car servide would be best?

New York City
reviews: 3
1. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Every station has low turnstiles at the main entrance; the high wheel turnstiles are only at the secondary or part-time entrances.

In most cases, you can shove the sutcase under the turnstile, and then follow it yourself. However, if you cannot do that, there is an alternative. If you find the main entrance with a manned booth (and for Penn Station on the 1/2/3 there is a manned booth right at the entrance from the Long Island Rail Road level, right there in the station) you can tell the clerk that you need to use the gate. You then go over to the turnstile, pay a fare, and revolve the bar by hand without entering (and make sure you get the attention of the clerk first so the clerk can watch you, and will know that you paid.) You then walk over to the emergency entry gate (at this station it is to the right of the turnstiles), and the clerk will buzz you through the gate.

Sweden
2. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Thank you, GWB

New York City, New...
reviews: 211
3. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Another potential problem is the stairs. If I remember correctly they aren't too bad at that station.

Sweden
4. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Yes, that's a factor that I need to take into account as well.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

The M20 bus goes to Chambers Street. You can get it on the Southwest corner of 7th Avenue and West 34th Street. You can get off the bus at West Broadway and Chambers .

The bus will take a bit longer, and you will have a longer wait. You won't have to worry about a turnstile or stairs.

Try hopstop for directions. http://hopstop.com/

Sweden
6. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Thanks! I hadn't thought of the bus option - greatly appreciated advice.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
7. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

You're welcome. Be aware that buses can be crowded when people are going to work or going home, but subway trains are also crowded then.

Also, the M20 doesn't run past about 1AM. Trains run 24/7.

Sweden
8. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Thanks, again. I can't remember - only took a crosstown Manhattan bus once last time I was there. Are the stops being annnounced? I wouldn't want to miss it.

I'll be landing at Newark approx. 1.30 pm so I'll be arriving into Manhattan sometime on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited: 3:31 am, November 14, 2012
norfolk
reviews: 30
9. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

i have similar issues. at penn station, there is an elevator from the nj transit platform to the main concourse. it is located around the middle section of the platform.

to get from the main concourse to street level, there is a short escalator.

when researching my own recent trip, from a similar viewpoint to yours, i found the wikkipedia entries for the individual subway stations [mine was 23rd and 8th] extremely helpful, in that it stated clearly what sort of access it had. just enter the name of the station in the search box.

have fun.

pam

Sweden
10. Re: Navigating the subway turnstiles with large piece of luggage

Thank you, Pam!