We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 31
When to go

Hi,

We are hoping to visit NYC in either Mar/April 2013. Can anyone advise when is best?

Also can anyone reccomend a good hotel within easy walking distance of the best sights. We are seniors but enjoy walking as long as its not all up hill :o)

Thanks in advance for any info.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
reviews: 27
1. Re: When to go

Budget helps to decide. April has nice weather, and is more expensive

You won't walk to all the sights so don't think about that as a criteria, we do need a budget to recommend a hotel, in us$ and being near a subway station is important!

Olney, Maryland
reviews: 5
2. Re: When to go

That's like asking, "Where is the best location in London to stay?" There is no answer, because there are lots of good locations. And people who aren't on expense accounts often stay a couple of miles away from any famous things to save a large amount of money. Same with New York. Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Soho, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, 57 St., Union Square, Financial District, Greenwich Village, Chelsea are some of the neighborhoods you could stay in, and all of them are a short subway, taxi, or bus ride from anywhere else.

To save about $60 per night, you could stay in Long Island City in the borough of Queens, or Astoria also in Queens, like at the Country Inn and Suites. It is exactly 1 stop from the Queensboro Plaza station (for example) to the first stop on the island of Manhattan. The only disadvantage is you can't just go back for a few minutes without riding for 10 or 15 minutes on the subway no matter which famous area you happen to be visiting.

If you must have 1 particular area to stay, I'd pick just north of the Times Square area (like around 7th Avenue or Broadway betwen 50th and 59 St). It close to the theaters, Lincoln Center, Central Park, the 5th Avenue stores and horse drawn carriages, and is near the 8th Avenue, 7th Avenue, Broadway, and 6th Avenue Subways, with an easy connection to the Lexington when needed; and local businesses are open nearly all night.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
3. Re: When to go

The best sights are different for different people. Broadway theater, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and the start of Central Park are all in midtown or specifically midtown west. Some hotels that I think are very good in that area are the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square (not in Times Square), the Hampton Inn Times Square North, the Blakely hotel, the Michelangelo Hotel and the Jewel Facing Rockefeller Center. Midtown East is a bit less hectic but still central and the Affinia Shelburne, Best Western Hospitality and the San Carlos are some nice ones in that area.

Museums are mostly uptown.

Beaconhotel.com

is a favorite in that area. Have a look at prices on

kayak.com

quikbook.com

to get an idea of differences in dates for prices. They do fluctuate.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 39
4. Re: When to go

As long as you are near a subway you will be fine-

have a look at the Salisbury hotel

Hotel Newton UWS clean comfortable near subway and a neighbourhood but really best to look at prices for your dates then read some reviews and ask for some opinions, as some people like budget, modest or luxury- prices vary greatly.

oyster.com shows photos but don't book through them. March will be cheaper

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 39
5. Re: When to go

also have a look on tesco travel some good package prices

england
6. Re: When to go

Thanks to all for quick replies. I need to write down exactly what budget we have and what we like to see and do.

Looking forward to trip.

Wanderer

NY
7. Re: When to go

April is a good time to visit, though it can still get chilly. Definitely better than March if you enjoy walking. If you're not limited to just those two months, I'd highly recommend May (or September). If not, just make sure you bring a variety of clothes as April can be hit or miss (March is still pretty cold).

I'm assuming that as Seniors, the idea of cramming into a subway car is probably not what you had in mind, so I would recommend staying in Midtown, but on the East side., below Fifth Ave. It's quieter than the West side, especially if you head further east towards Third Ave. but still within walking distance of many of the sights.

england
8. Re: When to go

Hi may67,

Thanks for info. No cramming into anything would not appeal!!

I will chech out hotels in the areas you have recommended.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Wanderer

9. Re: When to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 24, 2013