We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake City, Florida
reviews: 10
7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

We are planning a visit to NYC in Feb and will be staying in Flushings. We fiqure we will take the 7 Train in and out of the city. Is this what would be considered a safe route even in the evening? It wil be 2 adults and our 11 year old daughter.

Also, any idea how long of a train ride this is?

I really like the flushings area and all the different ethnicities, so we are going to day trip into the city and enjoy most of the night in flushing eating great food.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
1. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

yes it is safe. Most of nyc is safe.

New York, NY
reviews: 21
2. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

I really wish I had more time to explore Flushing - from the limited amount of time I've spent there, it seems like a great area for wandering and trying different foods. Also, FYI, there's an Asian spa a friend and I went to in Flushing - with very different pools of water and saunas, including one pool with tables and a bartender! (Can't remember it's name, but if you want me to look, just ask.)

Regarding safety, yes, the trip is safe, including in the evenings. Why would you think that it wouldn't be at any particular time of day?

Long Island
reviews: 35
3. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

If the #7 train is too slow for you, you can also take the LIRR from Main Street to Penn Station. It's costlier and you can't use your Metro Card but it's less than a 15 minute trip to Penn.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
4. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

There are not that many hotels I know of within a short walk of the 7 train in Flushing (no "s"). Make sure the one you pick is close enough.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
5. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

Be aware that the Long Island Rail Road is also significantly more expensive t In addition the LIRR does NOT go to Times Square. It goes to Penn Station and you would then either walk or transfer ( paying an additional fare) to the subway system.

The Long Island Railroad from Flushing to Penn Station is $8.75 peak and $6.25 off peak ( assuming you buy on the platform--otherwise it is about twice that) Peak is a train arriving at Penn between 6AM and 10AM or departing Penn between 4 and 8PM. ( M-F)

Queens, NY
reviews: 1
6. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

There are actually many hotels close to the Main Street stop on the 7 train.

* Sheraton

* Howard Johnson

* Best Western

* Red Roof

* Comfort Inn

* Marco

* Flushing YMCA

are all within a few blocks of the station. Go for one of those and not a hotel out on College Point Boulevard that you can't walk to.

I take the train very frequently in and out of Flushing and it is safe, frequent (usually every 5 mins) and VERY BUSY at all hours. One thing to watch out for though is that on some weekends the trains get cancelled between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square. In that case, transfer to the E/F at 74th Street.

As Frank3 says, the LIRR is faster than the subway, but it's also infrequent enough to be inconvenient.

New York City
reviews: 3
7. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

Actually, Whiz, all of the following are within what I would consider a short walk of the Main Street/Roosevelt Avenue stop of the #7 train (and remember that in Queens, the portion of the address before the hyphen is the cross street or cross avenue; if Main Street had a number it would be 136th Street, and if Roosevelt had a number it would be 40th Avenue):

Sheraton Laguardia East 135-20 39th Avenue

Best Western 133-51 39th Avenue

Howard Johnson Flushing 135-33 38th Avenue

Comfort Inn 133-43 37th Avenue

Red Roof Inn 36-31 Prince Street

New York City
reviews: 3
8. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

About the LIRR schedule -- it runs every 30 minutes during the day, while the #7 train runs every 5 minutes. In addition, the trip is 20 minutes long (and not "less than 15"), so you don't save all that much time. The station has that long name of "Flushing Main Street" because many years ago there was another line that went to Whitestone, with a different station in Flushing that had the name "Flushing Bridge Street."

The trip from Main Street to Grand Central on the #7 (non-express) takes about 30 minutes, and to Times Square takes 34 minutes.

Lake City, Florida
9. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

We would stay at the Sheraton. I stayed there 2 weeks ago and it is a 5 min walk to the train.

Lake City, Florida
10. Re: 7 Train from FLushings to Times SQR, is it safe?

Does anyone know if there are other interesting Ethnic restaurants on the 7 line between Flushing s Main and Manhattan?

TT