We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

any ideas? we are staying for 36 days from 18 Aug, any tips on if either of these sites are legal??

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

NY Habitat rents apartments for under a month that, as far as I can tell, are illegal. They've never seen fit to explain why the apartments that they list for under a moth are legal. I know that you're looking for more than a month, but given that they do seem to be working illegally with their short term rentals, I never feel comfortable recommending them for longer stays either. I know Whiz disagrees with me on that.

I know nothing about 59th Street Bridge Suites.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
reviews: 3
2. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

You asked about this is another post and got good recommendations from the hotel/housing expert on the NYC forum - NYWHIZ. Look at the sites that she gave. If these had been good options, she would have given them to you. If you are unwilling to take the advice you have already been given, then why ask for more?

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

Because, particularly re:ny habitat, I've read conflicting advice on here from members.

Thanks for your response

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 12
4. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

Bouht, if you have already been given reccos from others then heed their advice and book one of them.

Private apartment rentals are not always what they seem. You could be lucky, but you might not be. For your own peace of mind do a search of this forum for 'apartments' and see the myriad of problems that could go wrong if you book one of those. Aussies seem to have a fixation on apartments when there are potential scams and problems with private apartments in NYC. It's not like Sydney.

'Apartment style' hotels with kitchenettes are what have been recommended. THese are legitimate. Have a stress free trip to NYC and enjoy it!

Edited: 8:21 pm, May 24, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
5. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

It is legal to rent an apartment for over 30 days according to NYC law.

BUT

1. If the apartment is a co op or a rental the person you are subleasing from needs permission of the Co Op Board of Directors or the owner of the apartment.

2. If the apartment you are renting is in a condominium--he "may " need advance permission from the Board ( or whatever they are called in condos) In some condos you do and in some you don't.

So, unless you are renting from someone who OWNS the whole building or it is in a private home there is still a risk. Years ago I was on the Board of Directors of my co op. We didn't want any of our apartments be rented out without the prospective renter going through a full credit check ( by us), filling out an application and being interviewed. Otherwise you would be in our property against our rules and while we may not have enough time to evict you, the person who rented has legal problems. Furthermore, if you are not the first person he rented to--it may all come to a head when you are in the unit and you could end up in the street.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

Nyhabitat has monthly rentals. Some have had ok experiences with them. The 59th apts look terribly depressing to me with tiny windows and not much space or light. Would you actually fork over that much money with so few photos?

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

I know what you mean, but we are seriously desparate! traveling with a small child and we are in NY for medical treatment which is already costing the earth...really have no idea what to do as we can't afford half the apt style hotels. also looking at serviced apartments, which are v expensive :(

NYC
8. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

Since you are in NYC for medical treatment, you should ask for assistance from the facility providing the care (such as a the hospital social worker).

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

I have, and received a quote for $10,000 for the length of our stay!!!

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: NY habitat or 59th Street Bridge suites

Bought, Scott here from Sydney, do you have to be in the city, Manhatten, can you stay out side and travel in, cheaper digs out there.

Some say New Jersy is more afordable and its across the river.

All the best Scott..........land of Oz