We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Food Trends

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Current Food Trends

I'm interested to know from New Yorkers what the current food trends are in NYC. Visiting next month and would like to see what the next big thing is likely to be in the UK (most of the NYC food trends travel across the pond).

From reading my guidebook published in late 2010 the big trends then were:

- street food

- Banh Mi

- small plates

- Southern cuisine

- local produce

Street food (especially burgers and mexican) and small plates have certainly been big in the last couple of years in London, Asian baguettes less so unfortunately.

So what is big at the moment!?

New York City, New...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Current Food Trends

Scandinavian: Frej, Acme, Vandaag

Fried pizza: La Montanara, Forcella, Don Antonio

Contemporary Asian (creative takes on Asian classics, not really concerned about authentic reproduction): Talde, Red Farm

Modern for the masses (molecular gastronomy techniques whittled down and made more accessible and less expensive): Gwynnett St

Stoner food (crazy-sounding combinations like gyoza nachos and foie gras donuts): Do or Dine

Foraged food: Atera

Great steaks in non-steakhouses: St Anselm, Minetta Tavern

Pop-ups and special menus (like tasting menus only on certain nights) continue to be big.

Thankfully, the southern/comfort food wave has started to die down. Local produce isn't really a New York trend so much as a shift in the industry as a whole, one that--give the devil his due--began in California. Banh mi is now an established part of the local food landscape rather than a trend.

With the exception of Atera, which is red hot despite being very expensive, mid-range restaurants continue to be the rage, with lots of chefs going downmarket and casual to capture a wider audience.

London
2. Re: Current Food Trends

Great stuff. Thanks, especially with the restaurant names for me to investigate. Is fried pizza as unhealthy as it sounds?

What would you define as mid-range in NYC? i.e. approx main course price?

New York City, New...
reviews: 113
3. Re: Current Food Trends

I define mid range at about $20-$28 per main course.

Maidstone, United...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Current Food Trends

Love the idea of 'Foraged Food'. It reminds me of The Roadkill Cafe on Route 66. On their menu: Deer Delectables, Bad-Brake Steak, Fender Tenders, Caddie Grilled Patty. Their motto:

"From your grill to ours" ;)

New York, NY
reviews: 21
5. Re: Current Food Trends

Cupcakes? Plenty of cupcake places have popped up over the past few years. Crumbs, Magnolia, etc. More recently, there's a new chain called "Baked By Melissa" that sells tiny bite sized cupcakes for around $1 each.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 58
6. Re: Current Food Trends

cupcakes are so Sex and the City era to me (2007?). Macarons were 2011 although Laduree is still going strong.

cant think of a new dessert trend but that place on St Marks - The Spot? - probably has it

suitcaseready.com

New York, NY
reviews: 21
7. Re: Current Food Trends

Spot is awesome.

Queens, New York
reviews: 5
8. Re: Current Food Trends

Pistachios!!!

OK, no, not really.

I just wanted to see if this would catch on.

Chicago
reviews: 13
9. Re: Current Food Trends

http://nymag.com/bestofny/food/

This link is for the best food in NYC for 2012. Other links on the page include what was picked in 2011, 2010, etc. Of course, not everyone will agree with the food New York Magazine selects, but it'll give you a few ideas.

10. Re: Current Food Trends

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:45 pm, June 18, 2013