We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 6
JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Is it better (faster, cheaper, easier) to take the trains or bus from JFK to Penn Station NYC. If bus, which bus and where would the bus drop me off relative to Penn Station. Thanks.

35 replies to this topic
Glasgow
reviews: 7
1. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Train. It's cheap as chips and quicker.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 143
2. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Take the train. Its much faster. Your best bet is to take the Air Train from the terminal to the Jamaica Station. When you get off the train, you will buy a combined ticket that will cover the Air Train ($5) plus the cost of the Long Island Rail Road (varies by time of day, but plan on around $12). The LIRR runs from Jamaica to Penn Station a few times per hour and only takes about 15 minutes.

You can also take the Air Train to the subway, which will be slightly cheaper. But the subway will take much longer and isn't nearly as pleasant, especially if you have luggage.

Olney, Maryland
reviews: 5
3. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Not so much longer, about 15 minutes longer if you are actually going right to Penn Station. If you are going anywhere, the subway goes wherever you want to get to.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
4. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

The JFK airport bus goes to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, not Penn Station. So if Penn Station is your destination you definitely want either the Long Island Rail Road or the E train subway after the AirTrain to Jamaica.

USA
reviews: 6
5. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Thanks. You mentioned after going from JFK to Jamaica, "When you get off the train, you will buy a combined ticket"........Does this mean I don't buy a ticket at JFK before I get on the Air Train? I should wait and pay for that at Jamaica when I buy my LIRR or subway ticket to Penn Station?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

You don't buy the AirTrain ticket at JFK. You pay when you get off at Jamaica.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
7. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

When you get off the AirTrain you can buy a combined ticket for the AirTrain and the Long Island Rail Road. You can't buy a combined ticket for the AirTrain and the subway. If you're taking the subway, just buy an AirTrain ticket (not the combined ticket,) exit the AirTrain, go downstairs and buy your subway Metrocard.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 33
8. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Nice one Electric Mayhem, will try that

San Sebastian...
9. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

Thank you for your suggestions. Can you bring big luggages with you???

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
10. Re: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?

As long as you can carry them, yes.

Reply to: JFK to Penn Station NYC by train or bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted