We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
malaysia
reviews: 1
New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

Hi Was wondering when is the best time to go in 2012 to see Cherry blossom and Tulips at full bloom? I really want to see Cherry Blossom and Tulips. Thank you

Sydney Australia
reviews: 11
1. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

The locals will advise you but I have a feeling April? I was there early May and just missed the best of them.

New York City
reviews: 3
2. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

Cherry blossoms tend to be early to mid April. Tulips, depending on the kind, can range from early April to the first half of May.

Also note that there are other bulbs in blossom in the spring that you will not see at home, ranging from crocuses, squill, and quamash (early) to hyacinths (same time as the earliest tulips), to daffodils (which last a long time, from late March all through April.) You should consider a visit to either the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx, or the Brooklyn Botanical Garden in Brooklyn.

New York City, New...
reviews: 626
3. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

Folks don't normally plan visits to our part of the world for blooms- partially because blooming street trees tend to be less interesting, such as the popular bradford pear with its tiny white flowers, and partially because the dates can really fluctuate based on weather.

Washington DC is the place for cherry blossoms. I do suggest you follow up on the above post and take it one step further- contact both the Brooklyn and Bronx Botanical Gardens are see when the bulk of their spring blooming events are planned. Oh, and its sounds corny but check Macys for the dates of their flower show. Its the entire first floor of their store, and although indoors, always quite fun and dependable.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 18
4. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

The Sakura Matsuri Cherry Blossom Festival is kind of a big deal at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Not only is it very beautiful, but you feel like you are in Japan as many Japanese folks come to revel in the beauty. It is held at the end of April, when the blossoms are in full bloom. The grass is carpeted with them. Amazingly beautiful. Here is their website with all information.

See you in BKLYN

www.bbg.org/visit/event/sakura_matsuri_2012/

New York, NY
reviews: 21
5. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

I've been to both the Brooklyn Botanic cherry blossom festival and also to the one in DC. The Brooklyn festival is more "fun," with Japanese musical groups, exhibits, and food. The DC festival is more "formal," with official events and speakers. (But do check the listings in advance -- you never know what events will appear at either one!)

In DC, the cherry blossoms ring the tidal basin. It's a really beautiful walk around the water. In Brooklyn, the trees are more spread out. Personally, I preferred the Brooklyn experience for its fun factor, but DC for its beauty.

Note that other areas of NYC have cherry blossoms at that time of year. Sakura Park (122nd Street and Riverside Drive) is next to Grant's Tomb, and is great for a picnic if the weather is nice out. And if you're in a group, try standing at the bottom of Grant's Tomb and singing softly. It will echo beautifully throughout the memorial.

malaysia
reviews: 1
6. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

thank you for all your comments and advise. Previously, i have checked up, the sakura festival in brooklyn is on april 28.29 and albany is having tulip festival may 12, so was just thinking whether any forumers know that there is possible chance of seeing tulips before may 12? so that I can plan my holiday to coincide with this two festival. Yeah, from where I'm from, I have never seen sakura nor tulips before, so really want to see new york city as well as these flowers.

Queens, NY
reviews: 4
7. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

Tulips are generally a mid-April flower, around April 15-25. Here's a great site which explains the tulip plantings in Central Park. I also know there's a major tulip bed at the Queens Botanical Gardens.

…hubpages.com/hub/central-park-flowers-april

Manhattan
reviews: 6
8. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

Note. After Sept 11, millions of daffodils were planted all over the city. If you are here when they are in bloom you will know it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
9. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

The tulips on Park Ave. are late April

…nytimes.com/2009/…more-26743

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 58
10. Re: New York Cherry Blossom and Tulips

If you can fly via Amsterdam to NYC (Singapore Air used to have a routing that way - not sure about Malaysia Air or other carriers from the region), April is prime tulip season there. You might be able to do a 2 night stop over. Ive always wanted to go to Holland just to see the tulip fields, but still havent made it.

suitcaseready.com