We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 19
Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

Just a quick note to say the Limoliner is a wonderful way to get from Boston or it's suburb, Framingham, to NYC.

First, I am just a traveler with no vested interest. This was my first trip to the city and I was traveling with my teenage daughter, so I was a little nervous. I knew I didn't want or need the hassle and cost of the drive and my own car in the city, so I looked into other bus services, trains and airlines, and it turns out the Limoliner was the best choice for us.

The cost was about $140.00 round trip per person which is slightly more than Peter Pan and the Acela; and less than most airlines. We didn't have to get to an airport on either leg of the trip, or hire cabs to get to to and from airport and hotel in NYC, or endure lots of stops in between the cities. We arrived rested and relaxed, ready for our fun weekend.

We caught the bus in Framingham at 1:30pm on a Friday afternoon on Rte 9, this being the only stop between Boston and Manhattan. There is free parking in the lot, which we didn't use as my husband wanted to do the honors of dropping off and picking up. However there were several people who did leave their cars.

Departure was prompt. Everyone was checked in at boarding with a photo ID. I had our reservation sheet ready, but the attendant was really checking her list with our IDs. The trip on Friday afternoon to NYC was a total of 4 1/2 hours, and the trip on Sunday morning departure at 11:15am to Framingham was just over 3 hours. Honestly, the drive went by really quick. Even with the traffic delay on Friday afternoon, we couldn't have got there much quicker by air when you figure in the additional time you spend at the airport arriving early etc.

The seats were leather and very comfortable. If you are short, as I am, it is nice to have a pillow (which they will provide if you wish) to support your lower back.

Unlike the Acela, the Limoliner has internet access and cell phone coverage. I only experienced on interruption of wireless internet once during the trip. Included in the fare are beverages (water and soda), and sandwich, and later a snack. The attendant also offered magazines to passengers, and all service was to our seats.

The sandwiches were the round deli style bread; the trip down was a chicken salad, light on the mayo on white bread; the trip home was turkey and lettuce on the deli style wheat. Condiments are served on the side. (The chips were served later as a snack. There Sun Chips brand and Snyders Pretzels .) There is also a vegetarian option, which we didn't order and I didn't get a clear look at, so I can't comment.

There was a movie offered with monitors set high above the seats at intervals through the bus, and free headsets with connections at your seat. We arrived in Manhattan during the busy rush hour at 5:15pm, and that's where we had a delay, arriving in Midtown at 6pm. The drop-off location in Midtown at 53rd street put us well within walking distance of several hotels.

The driver and attendant on both legs of the trip were professional and friendly.

If I ever get a chance to go to NYC again, it will be on Limoliner.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

Thanks for the review. Most folks who use buses are looking for a bargain and have used

megabus.com

boltbus.com

successfully but it sounds like this was ideal for you, esp. if you live near Framingham. Is this the service that goes from Hilton hotel to Hilton hotel? I'm surprised to hear Acela doesn't offer internet.

New York City, New...
2. Re: Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

I've not suggested LimoLiner in the past year because of seeing more complaints about Limoliner's service and the condition of its vehicles than used to be the case. My hunch is that LimoLiner has been struggling because its business traveler customer base shrank and due to the increased competition from Amtrak's reduced pricing (down to $49 for a Northeast Regional train) & Megabus and Bolt, the spiffier bus companies.

So thanks for taking the time to let us know of your positive experience!

P.S. Amtrak is planning to add WiFi to the Acela trains in March, and possibly thereafter to the Northeast Regional trains serving the Boston-NYC-DC corridor. Cell phone reception doesn't seem to be a problem with Amtrak along this route -- the "quiet cars" are there for people who don't want to make or take cell phone calls, or listen to their neighbors'.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 8
3. Re: Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

You could take the Megabus or Bolt Bus for less than 20% of the cost, minus the food, but with everythingg else you describe.

Boston...
4. Re: Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

Thanks everyone- I will look into the other options for next time! Love this board.

Buggie

Boston...
5. Re: Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

Oops, I didn't answer the question about pickup and dropoff:

Yes, Limoliner goes from Hilton to Hilton with a stop in Framingham, which is why it was worth the extra few dollars for me. Going into Boston is 25 minutes to hours,depending on traffic, in the opposite direction. So the convenience of the Framingham location was great for us.

Also, the last time I was on the (tiny) Boston subway system was 25 years ago, so the thought of navigating the NYC subway for the first time with luggage etc. was a little too daunting for me (I know; to most city people that's a ridiculous thought, but so is camping in the winter, which is really pretty fun) So being dropped just walkable blocks from the hotel (Stay) was also a huge plus.

That said, after spending a couple days in NYC, I've learned it's really not rocket science and I found New Yorkers are very informative and willing to help (although just about everyone was a tourist where we were walking around). My daughter and I really love the city and are already planning a return trip, hopefully next summer.

Buggie

6. Re: Limoliner Boston/Framingham-NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 15, 2010