We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip #3: What To Do?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Trip #3: What To Do?

I stumbled upon this forum today and have been reading for hours now. You are all so very helpful. I am looking to plan my third NY trip in the May time frame, so I'm getting an early start this time.

Here's the background:

Trip#1: Dec 03- last minute trip planned about four weeks in advance. Complete culture shock. shopped, saw Rent and Hairspray, and shopped more. Stayed 4 nights and ran out of money on about day 2. Ha!

Trip#2: July 04-planned not so much last minute (two months or so). Decided that I would do it right this time and planned other things to avoid so much shopping. Saw Hairspray (again), Phantom, Mamma Mia (can't say that I liked it), and Chicago. Got tickets to Regis and Kelly to my complete surprise. Spent 6 nights and stuck to the budget this time.

Now, Trip #1 was with one friend and Trip #2 was with another, both of whom had never been before; so I basically did the same deal twice over. So the trip in May will be with my mother, who has never been and will be absolutely be in culture shock and I needed advice on what other things we can do. Here are my interests to help you out...love broadway, shopping, Soho, fashion, etc. not so much on the whole museum, touristy things that seem popular to the masses. Another thing, food and restaurants are not that critical to either of us. We eat enough down here in Louisiana.

Those of you that can give me ideas on the non-traditional things to do and see, I would be most appreciative. I love the city and can't wait to return, would move tomorrow if I could.

Best of wishes for this new year to all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: Trip #3: What To Do?

On the one hand you say your interests are theater, shopping and fashion (basically what you've done before) and on the other hand you want ideas on what to see and do. Hmmm. ok

For your Mom's sake, I would do one bus "tour." It will save her feet and give you an overview of the city. You could do a one loop "downtown" from Grayline which would show you the highlights at least from the outside, or, do one of the movie/tv location tours. There's even a special S8x and the City Tour. If you're interested in fashion, it stops at the shop owned and run by the costume designer (Patricia Fields) from the show.

Another touring idea that would be wonderful in May is taking some sort of boat ride. A half loop Circle Line tour or maybe the NY Water Taxi (nywatertaxi.com) used as a hop on/off ride.

Other ideas related to fashion, the Metropolitan Museum has a Costume exhibit on all the time. Check what will be on while you're here. The building is beautiful anyway, there are great views of the park from their rooftop bar. They also have a terrific gift shop :0)

Parsons School of Design and FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) also have exhibits open to the public. They're in interesting downtown neighborhoods and in May, should have exhibits up done by their graduating classes. You may see an up and coming fashion star.

You might consider doing some off Broadway this time (in addition to Broadway). Use the discount codes on Broadwaybox.com and playbill.com (you'll have to wait for closer to the time to get codes that won't expire). If you want to see top shows like Wicked, just buy full price.

Hope this helps. I think in order to have a different experience, you have to open yourself to some of the "touristy" things you might not think you'll like but may be surprised you do.

Start reading New York Magazine online (newyorkmetro.com) They have great guides and info not to mention interesting articles about what's going on.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 10
2. Re: Trip #3: What To Do?

I agree with nywhiz - the boat tour is a great idea. I went with my mom in September (my 2nd time - her first) and we really enjoyed the New York Waterways 1.5 hour tour that went halfway around Manhattan and then came back. Nice close views of the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, etc. We also saw Chicago and an off-Broadway production of "Toxic Audio", which we both thoroughly enjoyed. I'm surprised more people on this forum haven't heard of it! It's a group of 5 people that sing without any musical instruments, using only their mouths to make it sound just like they're playing drums, guitar, etc. along with their voices. Very funny, too. We got tickets to "The View", and we also went shopping, visited Ground Zero and Grand Central Terminal. We got haircuts in Soho, and visited Central Park. We didn't eat anyplace special, but managed to find several small little restaurants with good food that were in the area we were visiting, and that was always fun. Hope I gave you some ideas, and have fun in the city with your mom!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
3. Re: Trip #3: What To Do?

Haircuts, makeovers, make up, manicures/pedicures is something we don't mention enough here :)) Many of the top salons have special nights where they're training new people and you can get "done" for a very little money.

Louisiana
4. Re: Trip #3: What To Do?

Thank you all for your help. I was readig a previous post about a haircut at Arrojo Studio and I can not believe that I did not think of that. Will certainly be added to the "to do" list. By the way, I have already looked into the other ideas that you have suggested and really appreciate the help. As I said before, I am new here and find that the info that you all provide to be remarkable. I have even been taking notes! Thanks again.

Mandeville, LA
5. Re: Trip #3: What To Do?

65th floor of RC - Rainbow Grill- for drink to take in city lights..We did this and loved it...We ate elsewhere.

Wicked, maybe

Serendipity on 60th in Upper East

A day at one of the spas?

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 10
6. Re: Trip #3: What To Do?

cityFan, I'm the one that went to Arrojo Studio. Even though it was a little too expensive to have our hair cut by Nick ($300!), my mom and I were both very happy with the cuts we got. And, as a special bonus, we got to meet Nick! He was most gracious and even posed for pictures. I'm hoping to get back to New York next September, and I'll definitely go back there for another great haircut.