We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation please

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, UK
reviews: 1
Recommendation please

My husband and I are visiting NY for the first time in October this year and I've been scouring these pages religiously for info - thank goodness as I now have some great ideas I would have never found anywhere else.

However I have realised we are never going to get round using my questionable sense of direction so...even though I will end up looking like a tourist can anyone recommendation for a guide book that includes info on buses and subway?

Also we're staying at the Affinia Dumont - anyone know somewhere great for breakfast (I'm thinking piles of carbs and good coffee).

Thanks in advance, Cath xxx

Nyc (Upper West...
1. Re: Recommendation please

I use a small 4 x 9 inch book called “Manhattan Block by Block--A Street Atlas by John Tauranac. It has very detailed maps on Manhattan with all of the main building, theaters, and subway stops on each page. It also has separate pages with subway maps, etc. I think it is the best one.

amazon.com/exec/…

Queens, New York
reviews: 5
2. Re: Recommendation please

Oooh, that's a good reco!

I also recommend the NFT guides - Not For Tourists.

It is a small "little black book" that fits in your palm or purse, with neighborhood maps, showing everything from ATMs to dry cleaners, to pet foods stores - in addition to the sights.

https://www.notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 13
3. Re: Recommendation please

All of the tourist shops sell small palm sized cards of the subway maps and some even have the bus map on back. I think they run about $2. The subway booths are supposed to give away free maps if you ask for one. Either way don't worry about looking at the maps - inevitably even those of us who live here have to use them at one time or another.

Maidstone, United...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Recommendation please

I love the DK Eye Witness Travel Guide. For me the best of it is the way it breaks down the city into bite sizes with block maps and photos of buildings on every page. It's the sort of book that never gets put back on the shelf when you return home because it brings back such wonderful memories.

Leeds, UK
5. Re: Recommendation please

Thanks for all the responses - Nic where can I get hold of the book you mention?

Crieff, Scotland
reviews: 15
6. Re: Recommendation please

I got the DK Eye witness guide too and I agree with Nic- it is

brill. You can get it in any good bookstore.

I also got a great wee map called a pop -up map which is only about the size of a diary and very slim so would fit into a shirt pocket/jeans pocket- anywhere really and guess what- it's only 2 weeks til we go and we've lost the blessed thing. I know i should be hunting for it instead of trawling thru here!!!

Maidstone, United...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Recommendation please

Faye -Amazon have it if you go here: amazon.com/exec/… you'll see it's $16.50

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
8. Re: Recommendation please

For breakfast and other restaurants near the Affinia Dumont read these

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k249365-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k187683-…

Leeds, UK
9. Re: Recommendation please

Great nywhiz looks like we won't have to go too far in the mornings! I knew they served breakfast but it's hard to know whether it's any good or whether to go local.