We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

I too am planning my first trip to the city. I have the resource and safety net of staying with a friend in midtown but would like to research and plan a bit without bogging her down on each point. If there's a place I'd like to go, can I anticipate distances when referring to an address alone? Like, my friend lives at about 10th Avenue and 51st Street. If I were to aim for 8th and 55th, could I do the math and anticipate that that is 6 blocks away? Are some areas better for this than others?

Thanks very much...my first of many questions that will come on this forum!

Kaki

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 19
1. Re: Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

Most of Manhattan is a simple grid. Very easy to find your way. Try this site for distances:

http://www.hopstop.com/

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
2. Re: Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

The numbered streets running east-west are laid out exactly 20 blocks to the mile, so it's not difficult to put away an impressive number of numbered street blocks on a walk. The blocks between the numbered avenues running north-numnbered avenues running north-south are much longer, running approximately six blocks to the mile.

So 10th Ave & 51st to 8th & 55th is four very short blocks north (0.2 miles) and two very long blocks (.33 mile) east=0.53 mile total.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
3. Re: Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

To clarify, the distance between blocks walking north-south along the avenues is very short, the distance between blocks walking east-west along the streets is very long.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

Here is an article on the history of the grid

nytimes.com/2006/…02grid.html

5. Re: Are the streets pretty much laid out square and evenly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, October 18, 2009