We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

I'm coming to NYC for labor day with a friend and am on a really tight budget. I'm finding that there are not any affordable rooms in NYC other than places which seem to have bad reviews on this site.

I'm looking at staying at a hotel in Union City, NJ which is within my price range (82/night) and has a "shuttle" service that runs from the hotel to the PABT every 10 minutes (i'm assuming it's a NJ Transit bus) for a cost of 2 bucks per ride per person. Unfortunately, the shuttle service ends at 10:30pm from what the hotel has told me, so the best way i've found to get back to the hotel after 10:30 is to take a PATH from 23rd and 6th (the area i'll be in) to Hoboken and then a cab from Hoboken to the hotel which is about 3.5 miles. I don't know anything about cab rates in NJ, but i'm guessing that ride would be about 10-15 bucks.

So I'm estimating that transportation to and from the city would run us about 20-25 bucks a day. Is this my best option?

NJ
11. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

if you can't find anything in Manhattan, check out the hotels in Secaucus

the #320 buses do run until 1am M-Sa and 12:35am Su from Port Authority $3.85 one-way

Dallas
12. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

i'm going to be in the city much later than 1am. that's why this is so frustrating

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 77
13. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

If it were me I would just party till 5 am or so in Manhattan when the bus service starts up again.

Also check out the Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey City. Jersey City is a great commuting area...PATH trains stop there.

NJ
14. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

yeah, even if you wantd to spend the money for a cab from Hoboken, don't know if you'll even find a cab that late at night

I suppose the best bet might be a motel in Queens or Brooklyn

Dallas
15. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

what about staying in a ramada 1 block from journal square PATH station? the PATH runs 24 hours doesn't it?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
16. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

Hi

I'm booked at the Hilton Garden Inn at Secaucus and they have busses running all night. Apparantly until about midnight they are frequent and then after that they run hourly. I emailed the reception at the hotel to check all the details.

I'm paying $89 a night for a room without breakfast and the hotel is less than 4 miles from Manhattan.

Good luck with finding somewhere

Jackie

ps if you want I can give you the receptionists email address.

NJ
17. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

Jackie34,

unless the receptionist is talking about a different bus than #320, #190, or #124; there isn't a later bus than 1am from NYC Port Authority; #320 is the one that serves the hotels

NJ
18. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

your hotel is on the #190 line

12:30am, 1:05am, 2:00am, 4:00am, 5:50am, ....

from Port Authority

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
19. Re: Hotel in NJ vs. in NYC

With Jersey City, you have to be careful about where the hotel is located, in terms of neighborhood safety. Did you look into the Hyatt in Jersey City? It has a PATH station right outside and some rooms have great views of NYC. Have you tried bidding for a room on one of the discount webpages? Check out: www.betterbidding.com IMO, if your choices are a fleabag dump in NYC or a decent hotel in Jersey, I would say stay in Jersey. I know people will say, it doesn't matter what the hotel is like--you'll only be sleeping there. However, you would like to be in a safe and clean hotel without having to worry about insect and rodent infestations. While I don't wish this on anyone, if you got sick one day, you'd want a place where you will feel comfortable if you had to spend a day inside.