We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
reviews: 5
Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

My girlfriend and I are staying at the Americana Inn early September.

Where is good to eat near? Price range $20-$40 for 3 courses dinner?

I know it is a central location but will it be fine to walk to and from hotel after dark (within 1 mile and assuming common sense)?

Staten Island Ferry - how long to just go there and back?

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Your hotel is actually in what would be considered the garment district (where clothing showrooms are located more than factories). It's certainly safe but may not be too busy at night although you also border the theater district to your north. Menupages.com is a good place to look for restaurants. If you look at west 30s and west 40s that would be the area closest to you. But I hope you'll venture around the city to eat too.

The Hotel Metro at 35 west 45 st (so probably a block away from you) has a rooftop bar that would be nice for a drink and a nice view. I also read recently about a rooftop bar at Penn Plaza also near you. There's an Irish bar/rest. near Penn Station called Tir Na Nog with live music Fri and Sat. nights.

It's not typical to find set price 3 course dinners everywhere. Many of the restaurants in the theater district do that, usually BEFORE the theater so usually you have to order before 7pm. If by early September you mean before Sept 5th, the special "restaurant week promotion" has been extended by many restaurants until then. Here's a list of places that would serve a 3 course dinner for $35.

www.opentable.com/promo.aspx…

I notice One if by land two if by sea is on that list above and is one of the most well known romantic restaurants in the city. It's in the village. If you want a really romantic night go there ;)

One place not too far from your hotel is Artisinal a wonderful French brasserie. They usually have a $30 dinner and they're in the above list so don't know if it would be a different dinner for $35 ;-0)

Your hotel is quite near the theater district which is usually thought of as 42 st- about 52 st on the west side. There is a street called restaurant row, 46 st b/w 8th-9th ave. that has one rest. after another, mostly very good. One place there known for their good value $21.95 all you can eat pasta dinner is called Becco. Walking from your hotel to that street would take about 15 minutes I'd guess.

Another place I know with a set price 3 course dinner is a bit further from your hotel but still walkable at 6th & 52 st. It's McCormick & Schmick. They have a special deal with playbill (the company that prints the theater programs). If you go to playbill.com and register for free, you can see their discounts (first row on extreme left side of page). Scroll down to restaurants. Here's the page but don't know if you can access it w/o registering

playbill.com/club/…591.html

The 3 course dinner is $29.95 from 5-7 pm. It's normally $45 I think w/o the Playbill offer. This place also has a great deal for drinks and appetizers. Drinks are very cheap and from about 3:30 pm-6pm they have a $1.95 menu at the bar area. I've seen lots of young people go there after work and order one appetizer dish after another at $1.95 each and that's their dinner.

If you mean how long does the ferry take to go to and from Staten Island, I think the whole trip should take less than an hour if I recall correctly.

West Palm Beach...
2. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

As usual, the best advice is from Whiz! I'll just add that Chelsea isn't far from your hotel, either. While Chelsea is a predominantly gay area, you'll find restaruants there. So while you're browsing menupages, also search the west side from 14th to about 30th St. (below that is the West Village, where there are lots of great restaurants, too).

Edinburgh
3. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Thanks nywhiz for both

New York City, New...
reviews: 171
4. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Hi- I live in SI and it's about 1/2 hour ride each way on the ferry. If you like baseball the SI Yankees are in walking distance to the ferry - if a game is playing when you're in NY

On 46th street -there is Restaurant Row which has all kinds of restaurants -and they usually have Prix Fixed dinners for your price range. We like Le Rivage (french)

have fun-September is a nice time of year in NY

brooklyn, ny
5. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Inbrass,

W38th & Ave of the America's (6th ave) is one of the best locations tourists can stay in. Yes, it may not be crowded at night, but it is safe! You will be within 10 min walk from Times Square, the heart of NY. You don not need to go to Chelsea to eat, it is not a short walk and it is highly overrated. There are a few good restaurants on W35 & W36 between 5th and 6th Ave. Brandon's, Metro Grill, Playrights, O'Reilly's. The food is good and it is not expensive.

Also, if your girlfriend is interested in shopping, especially for an evening gown, the wholesalers are right there. I know it is off the topic, but I bought all special occasion dresses in the area at 1/2 price or even less of the fancy department stores.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Just came across this article on streets for eating cheaply and the first street they mention is 38th b/w 7th-8th which is a block away from your hotel. None of these places sounds like someplace you'd go for a "nice" meal" but thought it would be good for lunches etc.

nymetro.com/restaurants/…index.html

brooklyn, ny
7. Re: Eating and safety near Americana Inn, W38th & Ave. of...

Also, forgot to mention, you will be a few blocks away from Macy's. Their cellar has some good cafeteria-style restaurants as well as sit-down ones. It is an inexpensive option for a decent lunch.