We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 53
A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

Hi! I am coming to New York for Christmas shopping on December 12th with my daughter, it will be our third trip there. On both previous visits (last one 2002) we loved the Canal Street Jeans Company, but i know it has closed. (I think it was closing down when we were last there)

Can anyone advise/ recommend on a similar store that we could visit? We are planning to go to both Macey's and Centruy 21 of course.

Any advice gratefully received - just can't wait to melt that plastic card.....

Thanks in advance.

Queens, New York
reviews: 5
1. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

Glad you enjoyed Canal Jeans while it lasted. There was a resurrected store in Brooklyn, but I haven't been there. A co-worker of mine has gone there a few times to snag wool Navy pea coats, scarves and gloves. He's even gone during an "extended lunch hour" to return something and says it is very close to the subway.

Ther might still be the other "last gasp" of Canal Jeans on B'way and Waverly Place. Not sure if it is still open.

www.yelp.com/biz/wd6g5QKsXa_1RLUBwft1_Q

This website does not work:

http://www.canaljean.com/

Are you looking for Army-Navy surplus (which was the major component of Canal Jeans' stock) or more skater-punk-hip-hop-angry-teen clothing (Canal Jeans' other side of its personality) ?

London, United...
2. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

Thanks for such a speedy response. I guess what we really loved about it before were the jeans - so cheap compared to here in UK, and also the second hand clothes section. We came in dDcember before and were SOOO cold, but i got a $10 coat in there which saw me through that trip and I still wear it 5 years later, as it was such a classic! People often complimented me on it ;) - I took great pleasure in saying it cost only $10.....

Thanks again for such a quick reply.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
3. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

I think that they moved, altered their name a bit, and are now located on Broadway, closer to NYU {which is probably their biggest market}. Check it out -

Canal Jean Company Incorporated

718 Broadway

New York, NY 10003

(212) 353-2608

If you want to see some a huge collection of very smart designer jeans (unfortunately NOT at a discount, and very pricey) go upstairs at Barney's, on Madison Avenue. Even if you do not buy the jeans, Barney's is an interesting store. They have a very nice dining room that is good for a pleasant , light mother/daughter lunch. Lunch and browsing at Barney's is a favored outing for me and my daughters.

London, United...
4. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

Great advice, thanks. We are quite excited about coming over without my husband, who on both our previous visits, made shopping really an excruciating experience. Macey's and Bloomingdales were so difficult with him standing there, arms folded ,saying 'Aren't you ready to go yet....?' So, browsing the designer jeans, followed by lunch in Barneys sounds such a great idea. I will definitely add it to our itinerary!

Queens, New York
reviews: 5
5. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

In the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum is a great thread about shopping. In that thread are shopping maps which may be helpful.

SHOPPING: Where can I spend my money the fastest?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k909407-…

You can also enter "buying jeans" or a particular brand, like Seven for All Mankind, in the search box and find similar past threads.

London, United...
6. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

Great advice. I am absolutely sure that we will not be lost for opportunities to 'splash the cash'. Even more excited as dollar rate continues to go in our favour. Terrific ;)

Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to be back. (oops just realised that I spelled substitute wrong in original post. Doh!)

7. Re: A substiute for the Canal Street jeans company??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 12, 2009