We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for 3 dinners

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Restaurants for 3 dinners

Staying at the Renaissance TS in July for a long weekend. Our flight will not get in until after dinner time on Wednesday evening so we will have 3 dinners (Thur/Fri/Sat evenings) leaving Sunday afternoon. We will probably get tickets for Rent or Phantom on that Friday evening.

Where should we plan our dinners? Is Foley's worth one of the evenings out? Maybe we will have our late dinner there after checking in.

We think Babbo is one for sure as we love Italian. If there is another Italian restaurant that locals like better please mention it.

Where is a popular place for pre-show dinners?

We like just about any type of food, I am not a big fan of seafood though, love Italian, love a good steak, etc.

Chinatown for Chinese?

Thanks!

New York, NY
reviews: 1
1. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

I know there are a few people here who do not like Babbo, but I think it is very good. Not easy to get a reservation though. Here's a second option that you can easily get into:

www.cacioepepe.com

For steaks, Peter Luger's

I would try Thai, Malay or Vietnamese in Chinatown.

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 77
2. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

For pre theater italian, ViceVersa is very very good. For steak in the area---Keen's or Sparks. Don't have to go to Chinatown for chinese. If you want to stay near Times Square--- there is Grand Sichuan International Midtown that serves very good chinese food...their specialties are kung pao chicken---with freshly killed chicken, and terrific noodles.

Read more about these places on menupages.com.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
3. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

We've stayed at the Renaissance twice. Foley's gets inconsistent reviews in the Zagat Guide. The main reason for eating dinner, IMO, would be for the view of Times Square. They have a menu posted in a prominent place in the lobby. When you look at it, you will note that it is pricey. We never felt like we were missing anything by not having dinner there. However, we did eat breakfast there one very rainy morning and were too late for the buffet. We each had eggs Benedict and that was expensive---$14/each! Since we were the only ones in the place, we got the best table---what a view! I could only imagine it at night. So, in short, eat dinner there if you want to experience the view but, IMO, you can do much better pricewise.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
4. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

Both Rent and Phantom have discount codes available on broadwaybox.com that would yield you tickets ahead of time for $50-60/person plus handling fees. You won't pay much less than that at the TKTS booth and you'll save yourselves some time standing in line. You could also just print off those discounts and take them with you and go directly to the theaters and still get the discounts, again saving yourselves standing in line at TKTS and having to use cash.

As to eating, there are a lot of really good Italian restaurants in the theater district. On restaurant row alone (46 b/w 8th-9th) there's Lattanzi, Orso and Becco. Also, Joe Allen on that block is very popular for American food. I agree with Keen's for steak. Del Frisco is also a good steak rest. in the theater district.

I've never been to Foley's but based on what I've read and heard, especially if you're not crazy about seafood, I'd either do it for drinks or breakfast for the view and skip dinner there.

I agree you don't have to go to Chinatown for Chinese. Shun Lee Palace, it's westside siblings Shun Lee West and Shun Lee Cafe, Our Place and Chin Chin are also good midtown Chinese.

If I had to pick 3 dinners, one in the theater district, I would make sure the other 2 are in different neighborhoods to see some more of the city. Many tourists come to NYC and only see the Time Square area which is not what NY is about.

New York City, New...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

For Italian, try Maria Pia on 51st between 8th and 9th (close to 8th). I've been there a few times (it's right across the street from where I live, and I've tried many other places in the neighborhood) and it's never been too crowded. The food is reliable (though service can be spotty), and they have a decent prix fixe menu. The wine selection is also quite good.

For steak, if you're willing to walk a few avenue blocks, try Houston's on 53rd and 3rd (inside the Citicorp building). It's a great place with great ambiance and excellent service.

And in Chinatown, there are several places to try:

Jing Fong on Elizabeth (between Canal and Bayard) for weekend morning/afternoon dimsum

Big Wong's on Mott (also between Canal and Bayard) for roasted meats and noodle dished (the wonton noodle soup is yummy!)

Sweet and Tart on Mott for more eclectic-styled dishes

Peking Duck on Mott for . . . peking duck!

NYC
6. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

They can go to Houston's at home. It's a national chain.

And if they're near Citicorp, the Palm is better for steak.

New York City, New...
reviews: 17
7. Re: Restaurants for 3 dinners

It might be a "national chain," but it doesn't look like there's a Houston's in Ohio: http://www.houstons.com/

Please don't confuse it for a fast-food type, or Olive-Garden "chain" restaurant. There are two in Manhattan, and, while they may share the same menu items, the decor, food and service are its own.

If you get a chance, you should try it. The Hawaiian Ribeye is fantastic, as well as the Prime Rib.

Palm is ok but pricey and spotty; Houston's is always reliable.