We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash Withdrawals

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
reviews: 47
Cash Withdrawals

UK posters may have noticed that I often advise getting a Nationwide crdeit card for use abroad as they don't charge the conversion fee as lots of others do, which means you actually only pay what you were charged at the time of purchase converted directly into GBP...it can save a fortune if you spend a lot

I've just become aware that Nationwide also don't charge for cash withdrawals from ATM's if you have a current account with them. This obviously would do away with the need for changing large amounts of currency and buying Travellers Cheques. Just been in this morning to get the necessary forms and advice at my local branch.

I don't work for Nationwide, but thought I'd pass this money saving tip onto people.

Lancashire UK
reviews: 10
1. Re: Cash Withdrawals

Thanks for letting us know about that Daisiegee. I had noticed your posts about this subject, I don't know of any local branches but shall look into it. We always end up spending more than we thought on holiday. Nationwide are excellent for car insurance for young ones.

london
2. Re: Cash Withdrawals

i used my Nationwide visa last week in Jersey Gardens no charges from the machine at all and the rate that day was @1.879 which was better than i got at post office in london 6 days before

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
reviews: 47
3. Re: Cash Withdrawals

Sanatanita...I used their credit card loads last year to save money, but couldn't believe it when the person I spoke to at Nationwide said that you could just use your debit card at an ATM the same as in this country...as long as the machine has a symbol matching that on your card, there will be no charge at all, just the amount taken from your current account converted into GBP at the bank rate , not the tourist rate. I even double checked on their phone helpline as this will obviously save having to get travellers cheques and large amounts of currency at less favourable rates. Apparently they've had loads of people open these accounts since it has been widely publicised.

I wish I was on commission....

London, England
reviews: 3
4. Re: Cash Withdrawals

Remember that you will get charged interest if you use your CREDIT card to withdraw cash as opposed to your DEBIT card. It is classed as a cash advance and you are charged interest for borrowing money, as opposed to the debit card which is just gaining access to your own money.