We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tartan Day in NYC

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 8
Tartan Day in NYC

Just to let all my fellow Scots know that the Empire State Building is lit in blue and white until Sunday for tartan day and Scottish events throughout the city celebrating the Declaration of Arbroath (whatever that is) signed in 1320.

West Palm Beach...
1. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

Sounds good to me! Where's the party?

Brooklyn, New York
2. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

lol there was supposed to be a parade today, i huess it went ahead, but the weather was atrocious. There's stuff on at grand central and other places:

tartanweek.com/TartanEvents_interface/Scotti…

PERTH,SCOTLAND.
reviews: 3
3. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

RNnyusa- you say all your fellow scots! what part of scotland are you or your family originally from ? would be interested to hear about how a scot gets on living in NYC,as i would love to do the same one day!!! .....only when my six lotto numbers come up probably!!!!!

Brooklyn, New York
4. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

I'm from glasgow, I'm a nurse, we can go anywhere, got a good job here, saved some cash by living with extended family for a while outside nyc, got hooked up, used savings for downpayment on apartment 6 years ago, been here for 13y now. All depends on your immigration status, if you qualify for green card one way or another, then you've got it made.

PERTH,SCOTLAND.
5. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

Sounds like you went about things the right way! since i'm not as skilled as you ( only a HGV driver) will probably have to wait for my lotto win afterall! my partner is in the medical profession however as a cardiographer !! much demand for them out there ??:-) just saw the pipes and drums on tv marching in manhattan-superb!! !! is this an every year occurence ?, would like to plan a future trip to NYC around tartan week!would be like a home from home!!

Brooklyn, New York
6. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

Funny i was an ECG tech for 3 years at the royal infirmary in Glasgow, tried to come here with that but not in demand, cardiography's a low end job here. Wonder if i know your wife?

PERTH,SCOTLAND.
7. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

She has been in her job at our local hospital for only four years and since you have been away alot longer you will not know her !!you may know some of her bosses perhaps- caroline , ruth and janice( not sure of 2nd names!!) she is infact trained to do lab tech work ,but since she would've had to travel out of town to get a decent job(perth not big on lab work ..oh and she doesn't drive) she decided to take a job in the cardiology dept, hoping it may open some doors in the future ,but she really likes her job and is settled and happy,which is really important in this day and age ! thats not to say she won't try for something else she's trained for if a position came up!! but one day i would hope we could try our luck in NYC , i'm maybe just dreaming though!!

Scotland
reviews: 1
8. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

RNnyusa

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself"

Declaration Of Arbroath 1320

Still as true today worldwide as it was to the Scots nobles who originally wrote it to Rome seven centuries ago.

Have you been to the exhibit at Grand Central? Does it do our country proud?

Cheers

Alan

Brooklyn, New York
9. Re: Tartan Day in NYC

LOL Stevo, that's how i ended up here, watched the nurses while i was doing my cardiography and after a few years i decided to carve out a future here in the US, i was only 21 at the time, 39 now, been in US 13 years.

Floyder thanks for the declaration thingy! Haven't been to Grand central, i should tho because they're giving away flights to Scotland (returns too!)