We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Hi,

My brother and I will be in San Diego for a couple of nights next month and would like to stay in the downtown area.

We'll be on a relatively tight budget and I have picked out a couple of options, being the Omni hotel and the Westin (Gaslamp) - which is best?

Also, with regard to parking our car, (forgive my ignorance) do we just drive up and the valet will park it? I understand the nightly fee is around $36-38. How much do the public parking lots cost?

Many thanks

Graham

8 replies to this topic
Mi Wuk Village...
1. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Are you familiar with downtown? I ask because many tourists have a partially mistaken idea that it is the tourist center of the city. The beach areas are often better suited to tourists...without the parking issues. What is your hotel budget. In dollars not adjectives. TA lists some low price end hotels. If you are coming after the first weekend in Sept. room rates begin to drop. While I don't live in San Diego any more when I frequently return I use Hotwire. Read what the site lets you do. Downtown you can find cheaper than the Omni. For a splurge the mayor of San Diego highly recommends the Westgate Hotel.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

I like the Omni better than the Westin Gaslamp but either is a decent hotel.

The Omni has a baseball theme with baseball memorabilia on each floor.

There is a public garage(the Omni actually uses it for its valet parked cars) across the street which used to cost about $15 from late afternoon until the next morning. You need cash and you cannot drive your car in and out for that price . You just leave it there.

IF you use the valet parking yes you drive up, give the valet your keys, he will give you a parking ticket/receipt for the car and you go into the hotel. The charge for the car will be on your hotel bill.

You can ask for the car any time you want and drive in and out and only pay one fee for each night you are there. When the valet brings your car you give him a tip of about $2 or so.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
3. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

I would pick the Omni and the only advantage of the valet parking (or self if they offer it) is in and out privileges. If you don't need the car all day there is a cheaper lot directly across the street.

http://goo.gl/maps/bPmnc

The "P" is the parking lot (stack lot) the the right side of the screen is the entrance to the Omni.

San Diego...
4. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Id also choose the Omni over The Westin, nothing wrong with the Westin just the Omni is a step above.

Phoenix, Arizona
5. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

I just stayed at the Weston Gaslamp this passed weekend. The place was nice & clean and in a great location. But the Omni is step or two nicer.

San Diego...
6. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Are you flying into San Diego? If so, and you're going to spend most of your time in Downtown, then i suggest that a cab or shuttle is taken to your hotel instead of having a car. There is no point in driving around downtown. If you want to leave and explore elsewhere, there's a a service called Car2Go. They are smart cars that are parked throughout the city that you can rent as needed. http://sandiego.car2go.com/. I also like the Omni.

London, England...
7. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Our budget is no more than $180 a night.

We are driving from Vegas so will definitely have a car. Thanks for the info on parking, much appreciated.

Which bars/clubs in the Gaslamp area do you recommend?

San Diego...
8. Re: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp

Either hotel location is fine. I've stayed at the Westin Gaslamp and the location is very good. The Omni might be a bit nicer - I don't know. But either is fine.

There are a 'Ton' of restaurants / bars in Downtown and the small Gaslamp. I was there yesterday and there are so many to choose from. I just stopped and looked at the menus. As it was happy hour there were $2 tacos, $3 pizza + beer, etc. I ended up with a $2 ceaser salad, a $8 steak sandwich and a $5 glass of wine. It really depends on what you're hungry for. A lot of places also have a late night HH after dinner time.

Reply to: Hotel in Downtown/Gaslamp
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted