We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 15
Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

Hello,

Can you suggest a car hire company where we can rent a convertible to drive from San Diego to San Francisco in September for 6 days?

We were looking to pick it up the day after we land in San Diego in Downtown to avoid the airport costs but some companies only have an airport location. We also want to avoid any of the "one way" fees.

Thanks,

Sarah

6 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

You used the word Car Hire instead of car rental - do you have a non US drivers license ?

There is no magic bullet to avoiding the one way fees. You have to go to the website of Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise and National and see if they have deals for one way. There are times when cars are needed in one part of CA and car companies may waive fees.

You can also look at using codes and coupons from various sites such as carrentalmomma or costco or AAA and others to see what you can do about costs. I presume it is only 2 of you driving up so that you can fit your bags in the trunk

Good luck

Edited: 5:39 pm, August 21, 2013
Houston, Texas
reviews: 15
2. Re: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

We're living in the US at the moment so do have US drivers license but we usually say car hire in our home country.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look at those places and the coupon sites.

So.Cal
reviews: 9
3. Re: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

You may not be seeing many non-airport locations downtown in San Diego because the airport is so close - only a mile or two, so it doesn't make sense to have multiple locations so close together. As 'belomiser' says, you just have to check multiple sites to get the best price. We've had the best luck with Costco; they give us the 2nd driver free, which can save a significant amount, plus you can cancel and rebook as often as you want if prices go down.

You don't mention when this trip will occur. You could be looking too early to see a good price. Depending on when you're going, you might not even want a convertible top down for highway driving due to wind, fog, rain, or hot sun.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
4. Re: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

Companies cannot charge for additional drivers in CA so that should not be an issue for renting in this state. The reason I asked about the word hire is -- if you have a valid non US or Canadian Drivers license then you may be able to rent a car from carhire3000.com or the non US sites based on that license and those rentals include insurance as well as there are no one way drop off fees.

I normally do not suggest this to US or Canadian license holders as that would be bending the rules but as far as I know, if you have a license from abroad and it is valid, you should be able to rent a car using that.

San Diego...
5. Re: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

There are several rental car agencies located in downtown San Diego. The one that I use is the Enterprise office on the corner of F Street and 9th Ave.

I believe there are 3 Hertz offices. 2 in hotels - the Hyatt and Marriott

http://goo.gl/maps/z4blG

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
6. Re: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco

One-way fees aren't always spelled out. You may find a higher base fare. Need to hunt, as suggested above. Off-airport rental locations are sometimes cheaper, but not always (for an upcoming trip to Kauai, I was surprised to see Enterprise at a hotel costing more than at the airport). I assume you know you may have to pay extra to get a convertible, and not be guaranteed a specific make of car. Some convertibles have very, very limited trunk space, and you may not want to depend on putting bags on the back seat due to theft problems. Whether you'd end up driving a lot with the top down if a completely different matter and varies by individual.

Reply to: Convertible Car Hire - San Diego to San Francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted