We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town Inn question

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rishon Lezion...
reviews: 4
Old Town Inn question

Hi

Me and my wife are travelling for one month in US as part of our honey moon

We are not looking for Fancy hotels but also not a backpacker type :)

means, not the cheapest one, but a decent one, with good private rooms and in a good location.

What do you think about Old Town Inn?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

It got good reviews, and ranked #20. my question is, how is it for a 2 star hotel? does it feel like 2 start? Again, I'm asking coz still we're in an honeymoon, the room is not less important than the trip itself

29 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: Old Town Inn question

Will you have a car for this trip?

I ask because we usually recommend the Old Town Inn for folks who want inexpensive lodging near good public transit. Many families also like it because there are rooms with kitchen facilities . It is good value in a convenient location since the price includes breakfast and there is a pool too.

IF you tell us your actual budget , when you are coming, and if you'll have a car, we can make other suggestions. BTW reading reviews here is a good way to help you make decisions but the rankings are just a popularity number sooo if lots of families who want inexpensive lodging write good things about this hotel it will be ranked higher than a more expensive place that fewer people have used. It doesn't mean it is better. It just means it is more popular.

Edited: 8:36 am, August 21, 2013
Rishon Lezion...
2. Re: Old Town Inn question

I do have a car, although I prefer to be in a good location from the starting point, so I can get to most of the places by walking.

About the budget, no more than 150$ per night.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
3. Re: Old Town Inn question

You cannot get to "most of the places by walking" here in San Diego (or most of California except for San Francisco) . You will either have to drive or take transit to get to tourist sights. You will be able to walk to restaurants and some shops but to see/do things in the city and its surrounding county you will not be able to walk..

How long will you be here and have you done any research about what you'd like to see/do??

Sights and activities are quite spread out over a large area.

IF you tell us your interests(scenery, historical sights, museums,outdoor activities like hiking/biking/surfing/boating etc.) we can make suggestions.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
4. Re: Old Town Inn question

The Old Town Inn is not a good walking location. At your budget I'd look at La Pensione in Little Italy. It is a great walking neighborhood and it is close to a trolley line.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
5. Re: Old Town Inn question

I think there are more romantic hotels that could still be within your budget depending on when you are coming. Prices change with the seasons so if you tell us the month we can make more intelligent suggestions. For a young couple the area(Little Italy) around a hotel like La Pensione would be more interesting. You'd be able to walk to restaurants and if you are "good walkers" you could walk to San Diego Bay and downtown too.

Funny!! scott and I were typing at the same time!!!

Edited: 9:26 am, August 21, 2013
Rishon Lezion...
6. Re: Old Town Inn question

We'll stay for 3 nights (from september 18)

Few of the things we are planning:

1. Sea World

2. The Zoo

3. Some beaches (Like Mission Beach, Pacific Beach La Jolla and Del Mar)

4. Knott's Soak City

5. Explore the town- Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, Old Town,

6. Maybe- Coronado Island

7. have a good time (Eat, drink, dance :) )

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
7. Re: Old Town Inn question

OK so skip the Old Town inn. The vibe there will not be what you'll enjoy.

Take a look at La Pensione, maybe the Best Western Bayside too.

You have a lot on your list for only 3 days! Check out the gaslamp etc. at night for your "have a good time".

Depending on where you are before San Diego you can stop at a beach on your way to your hotel or on your way to the next stop on your trip. The end of September is still "summer" here so prices at beach hotels will be higher than those away from the beaches.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
8. Re: Old Town Inn question

OK, for what you want to do, Old Town is a good location for walking in the area, plus access to public transit.

SeaWorld is a short bus ride from Old Town on MTS Route 9

2. The San Diego Zoo would be the San Diego Trolley to MTS Route 7.

3. Aquatica San Diego (former Knott's Soak City) is now operated by SeaWorld, and is located in Chula Vista, so you would have to drive to it. It is only open on Saturdays and Sunday in September.

http://seaworldparks.com/en/aquatica-sandiego

4. Beaches, MTS Routes 8, 9 and 30 all go to the Pacific Beach area from Old Town, Route 8 goes through Mission Beach.

5. Easy Trolley trip to Gaslamp Quarter and Seaport Village., Old Town is within walking distance.

6. You can get there with public transfer, with a transfer. But I much prefer the Pacific Beach area, especially for bars and restaurants, a lot more to choose from in the area.

7.Old Town is a great place to eat and drink.

Also, the Old Town Inn offers free parking on their property, which is important if you will have a car.

Hope that helps.

Rishon Lezion...
9. Re: Old Town Inn question

Hammm

I'm a bit confused

Riff, what do you mean by "The vibe there will not be what you'll enjoy"? its not a safe area?

Either way I booked both Old Town Inn (120$ per night) and BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Inn (126$ per night) till I'll get a final decision.

In the old town I have another possibility for Sommerset Suites Hotel

which area is in better location?

San Diego...
10. Re: Old Town Inn question

If its between La Pensione and Old Town Inn, hands down La Pensione.

**edit** I just saw the post above, if its between the Best Western Bayside, choose that over Old Town Inn too, what I write below this applies to that hotel as well.

Little Italy is so much nicer with more to do than Old Town. You will be within a quick walk to hundreds of restaurants, bars, the Bay front, etc. Public transportation, everything is right there, if not in the Little Italy neighborhood just a few blocks away into more of the core of downtown.

Other than the guy who starts all of his posts with OK, I think everyone here would agree that Little Italy is a much better choice

Edited: 10:33 am, August 21, 2013
Reply to: Old Town Inn question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted