We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area nearest to attractions

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Kentucky
reviews: 2
Area nearest to attractions

My boyfriend and I will be coming to San Diego in September for a vacation for a week to do the typical touristy things-zoo, beach, etc. I've been looking at airbnb to find a place to stay and have considered 3 places but I'm not sure about the location. They are in the Azalea/Hollywood Park, Mira Mesa, and North Park areas. Are any of these better than the other? Or will either choice be fine and close to attractions? Or any suggestions on what area I should consider would be helpful!! Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: Area nearest to attractions

Will you have a car??

That will make a difference as to where you can stay.

Sights/activities/attractions are spread out throughout the city and its surrounding county so no one area is near everything.

IF you will need to use public transport (bus/lightrail) then that will make a huge difference as it doesn't cover all areas of the city equally!

I wouldn't stay in any of the areas you have mentioned except perhaps North Park.

What is your budget?? Perhaps we can offer other suggestions?

San Diego...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Area nearest to attractions

North Park would be fairly close to the Zoo and the rest of Balboa Park, but not near any beaches. Azalea Park and Mira Mesa are residential neighborhoods that are not close to any beach or tourist attraction. If you want to be within walking distance of the ocean, your choices of neighborhoods are: Sunset Cliffs, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach or La Jolla. All other neighborhoods within the city limits of San Diego are not within walking distance of the ocean. The city of Coronado, which is west of downtown San Diego, has a beach.

Edited: 1:51 pm, July 23, 2013
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
3. Re: Area nearest to attractions

I had to look up Azalea / Hollywood Park. I wouldn't stay there. Mira Mesa the same.

I agree that of those three North Park is the best. Although, for me it would depend 'where' in North Park. There's an area with some really good restaurants there and good buzz.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
4. Re: Area nearest to attractions

I would say no to Azalea Hollywood Park, then Mira Mesa and North Park it would depend upon the specific neighborhood, but neither would be good without a car.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
5. Re: Area nearest to attractions

I agree to really help you we need to know 1) Will you have a car? 2) What is your per night budget?

Richmond, Kentucky
6. Re: Area nearest to attractions

We will have a car. As for a budget, I don't have a specific amount set yet. I was just trying to get an idea of the room situation and saw those places were decently priced on airbnb whereas others seemed to be a bit steep. Usually we spend around $100 a night when we go on trips.

San Diego...
reviews: 30
7. Re: Area nearest to attractions

With a car, then North Park would be acceptable, just a short drive from the zoo and the other features of Balboa Park. But it would still be a 15 or 20-minute drive from the nearest beach.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
8. Re: Area nearest to attractions

There's a really cute motel right on the marina in Pt Loma that is usually under $100 / ni. Although for your dates you'd have to contact them. It's recommended here a lot for people on a budget. Good location and some places right close for a beer and bite to eat(a couple across the street and more down the street)

http://www.dolphin-motel.com/motel.html

Richmond, Kentucky
9. Re: Area nearest to attractions

There are also a couple of places in Park West that sound ok. Is that a better location than the others?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
10. Re: Area nearest to attractions

Not knowing your exact dates I put in some random ones in Sept at La Pensione in Little Italy. Great location and LOTS of restaurants, bars, a couple of pubs. Can walk to downtown and the Bay & Marina, Gaslamp Quarter for a bit of nightlife.

https:/…