We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
reviews: 2
Where to stay?

Hi all,

I'm coming over from Australia to spend a few weeks in LA mostly. But I will be having 3 days in San Diego by myself. I am only 18, so I can't hire a car. I am just wondering where would be a good place to stay? I would like to be in walking distance to things to do like shopping, restaurants and maybe a beach? I would love to spend a whole day shopping, haha. And also is there a good public transport system there? Because I would also like to go to the zoo, legoland and sea world if I have time.

Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
1. Re: Where to stay?

HI and welcome to the forums.

Legoland is really meant for very young children so not sure it is a place you really want to visit!

How do you plan to get to San Diego from LA?

There is a train you can take which will leave you off in our small downtown.

You can easily get to our zoo/Balboa Park(in which the zoo is located) and Sea World.

There is a nice hostel downtown which you may like but you DO know that our drinking age here is 21 and so you won't be able to go to clubs.

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-HI---San-Diego---D…

You can take a bus to the beach.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
2. Re: Where to stay?

Depending on your budget, the Pacific Beach area is Public Transit friendly with 4 bus routes that offer service every 15 minutes or less most of the day and evening, most routes go to the Old Town Transit Center, where you can catch the San Diego Trolley Light Rail system.

www.sdcommute.com

One lower priced option that is good for public transit is the Old Town Inn, while inland, you can take the MTS Buses for a short trip to the beach.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

OK, LEGOLAND is hard to get to using public transit, so unless you are a big LEGO fan, I would look at SeaWorld and the Zoo and then for shopping, take the San Diego Trolley to the Mexican Border and shop on the US side at the Las Americas Outlets and nearby stores. I recommend a cheap pedicab to get from the Trolley Station to the mall.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 379
3. Re: Where to stay?

Here is the Hostels.com listings for San Diego.

http://www.hostels.com/san-diego/usa

The AAE Hostel is at the 500 West Hotel that is part of the Downtown YMCA. It is a good, safe location.

Some of the hostels are in the heart of the Gaslamp District, which means they could be busy/loud at night. Check the addresses on Google.

Sydney, New South...
4. Re: Where to stay?

I'm planning on getting a greyhound from LA . Thanks for the help everyone!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
5. Re: Where to stay?

Why take the Greyhound, have you looked into taking the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train?

I think it is a much nicer, and scenic in parts. Free WiFi on board, here are two links, one is about the train, the second talks about the different discounts that would be available to you.

http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

And maybe check out this Motel if you are looking for a place on the beach that is reasonably priced, and is good for public transit. (The main transit hub in the area is next to the Pacific Beach Pier).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d112281-…

Sydney, New South...
6. Re: Where to stay?

The train sounds great, but the only problem is that checked baggage is not allowed and I will have a big suitcase. Thanks for all the help!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
7. Re: Where to stay?

The Amtrak does allow checked baggage for most stations, such as Union Station (LAX) and the Santa Fe Station in downtown San Diego (SAN). The Old Town Station (OLT) is just a platform and does not offer checked luggage, but it is only a few miles north of the Santa Fe Station, which is a few blocks away from the main Greyhound Depot, So just go to the Santa Fe Station on the train, and then deal with your luggage on public transit. (The San Diego Trolley light rail goes from the Santa Fe Station to the Old Town Station in just a few minutes), or arrange a shared van service to get you to your hotel.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
8. Re: Where to stay?

We've taken the train to SD from Union Station with luggage. There were three of us so we took a taxi to our hotel. In SD.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
9. Re: Where to stay?

IF one particular train/station does not have checked baggage then you just take the suitcase onto the train with you. It doesn't mean suitcases are not allowed.

I particularly recommend the hostel in the gaslamp area on the link I gave in my post because I have personal experience with it. A good friend of mine stayed there and loved it! She was not in town to "party" but thought that the people who run it were very helpful and well organized. I don't have any personal experience with the other hostels mentioned in the link above.

Sydney, New South...
10. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks everyone for taking time out of your day to help me! Feeling a little less stressed out about trying to organise this trip now :) thanks again