We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

we will be in San Diego for 4 days...I will have the Go San Diego3 day Pass card...

The first night, we will be staying in the La Jolla area...so, I was thinking the first day..we will spend our time at the beach and exploring La Jolla. What other areas near La Jolla can I go to? gaslamp? mount soledad? Can I go visit Coronado that same day? don't know how far these places are far each other. The second day, I am thinking of using my San Diego pass. Since I will be in La Jolla, I can do the USS midway, Scripps aquarium, don't know if I can also do San Diego zoo? for the second night, we will be staying in the old town area...

third day: sea world and apparently there is a mall near there..fashion/mission valley. although I do want to go to an outlet mall too

4th day: 1/2 day at legoland

any thoughts regarding how to set up my trip so that I won't be going from one end of town to the other would be much appreciated. thanks.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

OK, in the La Jolla area, check out the Cross at the top of Mt. Soledad, the Birch (Scripps) Aquarium and the Torrey Pines Natural Reserve/Beach, maybe Windansea Beach and Bird Rock, and if you have time, head south to the Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area, inlcuding Belmont Park.

Next day, start at the USS Midway, then head up to the San Diego Zoo, and if any time left, Balboa Park. (All near Old Town).

SeaWorld is a full day, but if you have time left, the combination of Fashion Valley (more upscale) and the Mission Valley Malls (has some discount stores) is close by (east of SeaWorld).

And then when you head to LEGOLAND, the Carlsbad Premium Outlet Mall is very close by the Resort.

Hope that helps.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

I wonder why you chose to stay in two different hotels if you have 4 days in San Diego.

I assume you have a car. My friends and I joke that places in San Diego are all about 20 minutes from each other. It takes 20 minutes from La Jolla to Old Town or to Downtown where the Gaslamp District and the Midway Museum are. It takes 20 minutes from La Jolla to the Zoo or SeaWorld. Old Town is a bit more centrally located than La Jolla. Distances from Old Town to the Gaslamp and Midway are shorter, but it will probably still take you 20 minutes to park and get out of your car. It will likely take you 20 minutes from Old Town to Coronado. :)

As Darkbeer has already mentioned, Birch Scripps Aquarium and Torrey Pines are near the La Jolla Beaches. The large beach in LJ is LJ Shores beach. The LJ Cove just south of LJShores is in the village of LJ and has pocket beaches, seals and sea lions, and restaurants, cafes, galleries. The University of California San Diego (UCSD) in La Jolla has an outdoor sculpture collection that is fun to check out if you have a few hours left. The pieces are all over the campus and require walking. Don't miss Mt. Soledad if it is a clear and sunny day.

Edited: 1:31 am, June 26, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

And FYI, looks like you might be headed to the Greater LA Area (aka Southland), there are plenty of Outlet Malls in the area, including The Outlets at Orange near Disneyland, and the Citadel Outlets in the city of Los Angeles, if that is better timing for you.

I also like Ontario Mills and the combination of the Cabazon and Desert Hills Outlets (next door to each other) east of LA near Palm Springs.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

Thanks everybody! This helps me with the planning to make it flow a little better.

@Elle: I originally had reservations in the Old Town for all 4 days but we do like the beach/ocean so I thought I'd book one night close to the beach..It is more expensive to stay close to the beach at this time :-( hence, I can't stay there the full 4 days. So, this way, i figured I'd be close to the beach one day (not have to worry about parking etc) and just be inland the other days. glad to know though that everything is close to each other in San Diego.

@ Darkbeer: we will be coming from LA to San Diego so, may look into those outlet malls along the way and maybe drop by on the way to San Diego...although, priority is seeing sites in San Diego first....I will follow the itinerary that you suggested....thanks. Any other sites that you think I should see? let me know and I'll try to squeeze it it! thanks!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

how far is lajolla cove to LJ shores beach?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

LJ Shores beach is just north of the Cove. You can walk it (about 1.3 miles) or drive (1.5 miles). Check it out on Google maps. If you walk, you can take the Coast Walk trail for a little bit, which gives you very nice views of the water.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

We are coming to San Diego in August from England and had some great tips about mission beach and bike rental. We are going to hire a car for a day and wondered if anyone had any tips about where to go ?

What is the drive like to Julian and whats on the way.? We want to make the most of the days hire ,

Many thanks

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

Lesley, you should start a new thread. You may get more answers that way.

There are several ways to drive to Julian. the more scenic one is I-8 to hwy 79, which goes through the mountains. However, there was a big fire in the area in 2007 (?) and although vegetation is coming back, it is not as lush as it used to be. There are opportunities for some nice hikes, but you'll have to have a parking pass.

The other way to Julian is I-52 to hwy 67 and 78. This area was also affected by the fires. It skirts or goes through some communities like Lakeside and Ramona. It is more rural after Ramona, and has some winding roads but not as many as the other route.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

Thankyou that's really helpful.

Was also wondering about driving along the coast, coastal town hopping.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: planning upcoming san diego trip..HELP!

I love the Coastal Route, The southen end of the Coast Highway (aka Historic Route 101) is the Torrey Pines Natural Reserve, and goes all the way to Oceanside, here is a list of things along the route.

sandiego.org/articles/tours-sightseeing/high…