We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 24
Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

I will be staying in San Diego with my wife on our honeymoon in mid July at The Pearl hotel. Is their food/atmosphere at the restaurant any good? Any specialties to order? Are there any other decent restaurants within walking distance to eat at? We are adventurous eaters so any style, from an awesome bar burger or standout wings to Moroccan or Asian or fine dining? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
1. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

Hopefully you are renting a car. The Pearl is not a great location without a car.

Close by spots include Miguel's for decent Mexican food, Point Loma Seafood, Pizza Nova (Italian, not just pizza), Jimmy's Famous American Tavern, Umi Sushi, Gaberdine, Harbor Town Pub and a slew more in Liberty Station, which is maybe walkable, maybe not (1-1.5 miles for most of the restaurants). Slater's 50/50 is my favorite current burger place. The 50/50 means the burger is 50% ground beef and 50% ground pork belly. Life is good.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 24
2. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

thanks Scott. We do have a car so travel is not an issue. Is Point Loma Seafood the best seafood around or perhaps Mitch's or Brigantine's?

San Diego...
3. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

Of the ones closest, Jimmy's American Tavern is right on the Marina with a nice view. Pizza Nova is a chain restaurant next door and it might be nice for drinks or appetizers or pizza (not bad.) Point Loma Seafood. Some a bit futher you might want to take a taxi for $3 or $4. I've noticed Gabardine has redone their menu and it's less expensive and less - I don't know what the word is - complicated, perhaps. Good Happy Hour. A place with a great view of Coronado and Downtown San Diego on Shelter Island is Bali Hai.

For the Pearl here are some reviews if you haven't already seen them

yelp.com/biz/…20pearl

yelp.com/biz/…20Hotel

I can understand not wanting to drive when you want to go out at night and have a few drinks. I also wonder about how you're getting around from there (car hopefully ?) and what else you'll be doing and where you are wanting to go while you're here.

San Diego...
4. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

Cross typed. So you'll have a car. Good.

Pt Loma Seafood is a very casual sort of fast food seafood place. You don't get fish dinners there and they close early. But you can get shrimp / crab cocktails, seafood salads, sushi, several fried seafood options.

pointlomaseafoods.com/assets/plsf_menu_pdf.p…

If you want a seafood dinner close by the Brigantine is a good option but I'd also look at the Bali Hai

http://www.balihairestaurant.com/menus.html

Mitch's is also a very casual place where a lot of fisherman and locals go. I've never eaten there.

San Diego...
5. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

I just had another look at Gabardine's menu (Brian Malarky, Top Chef) and see that it's heavy on the seafood. The menu used to be different and much more expensive. My sister lives in the neighborhood and her family and friends went once and wouldn't go back. All said too expensive and they didn't like the menu. He's going thru some growing pains with many of his restaurants right now (recent article in the paper a few weeks back - including closing some of them) so he got smart and did some revamping at this one. No view or anything like that, just on a neighborhood corner.

http://www.gabardineeats.com/menu/dinner/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
6. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

I am a big fan of the food and vibe at the Pearl Hotel restaurant. If you are there on a Wednesday night, it is movie night (with full sound) and you can enjoy a great meal while watching the movie overlooking the hotel's pool. Other nights of the week, no sound on the screen (though I went the other week and they were showing reruns of 'Get Smart' the entire night) but still a hip vibe and the food is good.

You are relatively close to Liberty Station where you can get a great burger and craft beer at Slaters 50/50 and you can also check out the brand new Stone Brewing World Bistro and Gardens (huge).

For Italian food you will have 3 decent choices--Solare (in Libery Station), The Venetian, and Pomodoro.

On the other side of the hill yet still within a 10 minute surface street drive from your hotel in Ocean Beach is Sessions Public (craft beer/gastropub) and one of my favorite restaurants, The 3rd Corner--wine bar with excellent food at reasonable prices.

http://www.the3rdcorner.com/

http://www.sessionspublic.com/

http://www.stonelibertystation.com/

Edited: 12:07 am, June 25, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
7. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

Pizza Nova is a "chain" restaurant? I am not sure when a restaurant becomes a chain, but I am pretty sure it isn't three locations. By that standard Gaberdine is a chain since I am sure Malarkey has more than three restaurants.

Point Loma Seafood is one of the highest seafood places in San Diego because they get a good bit of their fish off the boats that come in. They are a seafood market that also cooks the fish. They are not "fast food" they are a counter serve restaurant. The two are not synonymous.

As to what is better, Mitch's, the Brigantine or PL Seafood, they are all three different. Mitch's has a similar business plan to Point Loma Seafood, lots of local fish and the same feel. The Brigantine is a more traditional restaurant with waiter service, full bar, etc. I have been lukewarm on the Brigantine in recent years but have had occasion to go in the last couple of months and it was better than I remembered it being so I don't think you can go wrong at any of the places.

8. Re: Pearl hotel restaurant and those near it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 27, 2014