We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family transport

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Family transport

Our family is planning to meet in San Diego for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. There are six adults and three children (all under seven) and we are staying at the Hotel Del Coronado. I need advice on how to get from the airport to the Del and back and also to the zoo. The hotel shuttle only seats five. We could take multiple taxis. We have considered renting a van but don't plan to do a lot of driving. Is the trolley tour a good way to get to and from the zoo? Would welcome any suggestions!

San Diego...
1. Re: Family transport

If you don't plan on renting a car at all then I'd use the Hotel Shuttle for 5 of your group and a taxi for the remaining 4. There are taxi Vans.

You could use the Trolley Tour to get to the Zoo but if you don't use it after the Zoo to continue on with the rest of the Tour then IMO it's a waste of money - because it is afterall a 'Tour' and not a means of transportation. I would just get 2 taxis to take you. Have the hotel get 1 large taxi Van (big enough for at least 5 or 6) and then another for the remainder of the party. When you leave the Zoo there will be taxis waiting. But there might not be a taxi Van at the time you leave so take the phone # of the taxi company just in case so there isn't one. That way you can sent some people, at least 3 or 4, on in a regular taxi and call for a taxi Van.

If you are planning on renting a Van this might be a good day to have one. Parking at the Zoo / Balboa Par is free btw.

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
2. Re: Family transport

Hi,

I just checked on the Super Shuttle website, and they will do point-to-point transfers in a 10-passenger van. For the route from the Hotel del Coronado to the San Diego Zoo, I came up with $69 for the one-way trip.

http://www.supershuttle.com/

A taxi fare for one taxi one-way will be in the $25 - $30 range according to:

www.taxifarefinder.com

Zed

3. Re: Family transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 20, 2014