We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transit to Coronado?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 15
Public transit to Coronado?

I would like to visit Coronado for a day trip. Can I travel via public transit using my Compass card? If I purchase a 1-day pass, can this be used for both bus and trolley?

Thanks for your help.

San Diego...
1. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

Hi Atlgirl - Welcome to San Diego!

Yes you can take the bus to Coronado. No you can't take the Trolley to Coronado because it doesn't go there. But, depending on where you are starting from you might take the Trolley for part of the journey. Oh, and yes, the Compass Pass is good for both the Bus and Trolley.

The 901 Bus will take you there. It's approx 15 minutes from Downtown to get to the Ferry Landing (the bus stops a couple of blocks away) and approx 30 mins to get to the Village and the Beach on the othere side. Here's some more info:

coronadovisitorcenter.com/CVC/Transportation…

You can also take the Ferry from Downtown to the Coronado Ferry Landing. But, that is an added expense and is not covered by your Compass Pass.

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

Casper, Wyoming
2. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

The Ferry is like 5 bucks or something. Great deal!

Philadelphia
3. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

Just to clarify, I would take the trolley to seaport village and then a ferry?

San Diego...
4. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

WHERE are you starting from, Atlgirl? Whether or not you'd take the Trolley depends on that. The Ferry is at Broadway Pier not Seaport Village. If you are staying over by the Convention Center you can also take it from there. There are 2 Ferry stops.

Edited: 11:30 am, May 10, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 345
5. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

>>>Just to clarify, I would take the trolley to seaport village and then a ferry?<<<

That would be the FUN way to do it, but not the fastest or cheapest. I would stick with fun.

The Coronado Ferry leaves from right by the Hilton Bayfront and the Cruise Ship Terminal. The nearest trolley stop would be Plaza of the Americas/Santa Fe Depot (or maybe Date St, Broadway is a mess right now). The nearest trolley for the Hilton Bayfront is either Petco Park (12th & Imperial) or 6th St. (Gaslamp).

Once you get off the ferry, you'd need to catch the bus down Orange Ave to Downtown Coronado (bit over a mile from the ferry landing).

6. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:19 pm, May 10, 2013
San Diego...
7. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

If you look at this map you'll see the letter A. That's Broadway Pier. Then you'll see the Santa Fe Depot Station. The Green Line Trolley stops there. The Orange and Blue Line Trolley stops just across the street at America Plaza. Which line you should take, again, depends on your point of origin.

http://goo.gl/maps/jgqP7

Like I said, if you're staying closer to the Conv Ctr (or starting your trip to Coronado from there) then you'd want to take the Ferry from there.

Philadelphia
8. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

Thank you all for the great advice.

I took a wonderful day trip today to Coronado. Using my 1-day pass on my Compass card, I took the Green line trolley from Mission Valley to the 12th/Imperial Transit Center. Then, I caught the 901 bus over to Coronado Island and got off right near Hotel del Coronado. I spent the day exploring the area and beach.

I would highly recommend a visit!

Edited: 12:09 am, May 11, 2013
9. Re: Public transit to Coronado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2014