We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 14
Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

So here are the details:

We are a couple, traveling without our kids.

We have our last 2 nights of our Cali road trip (starting in Napa) and ending here.

I like being on a beach but we want access to downtown to catch a ball game and a night in the Gaslamp area.

I assume that the Del, being a landmark etc would be the choice hotel, however, we won't be spending that much time at the hotel.

Price $216 for luxury room at Loews (2-3 upgrades) vs the best rate I can find at Del $299 for a standard rm (which seems like a great rate).

Worth spending the extra for the Del, or not to bother since we won't have too much time to enjoy the resort? I can't decide!!!

San Diego...
1. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

Hi Melto - The problem with the Loews is that it is passed the Village of Coronado and is isolated. It adds an extra 10 or 15 mins to your commute and there is absolutely nothing within walking distance. It's also why it frequently has better rates than other hotels because of the location. The HOtel Del has restaurants, cafes, etc. right out the front door and is much closer to the bridge.

I know you say you want to be on a beach but since you're only spending 2 days in San Diego as a part of your Calif road trip I'm not sure how much time you'll actually spend at the beach. If you were to stay at the Coronado Marriott right next door is the Coronado Ferry Landing and the Ferry will take you to the Convention Center which is only a few minutes walk to PetCo Park.

You can also use it to visit the Gaslamp one evening. Note that the Gaslamp is a place to eat, drink and people watch. You can also take the Ferry to Broadway Pier and visit the sites on the Bay / Marina and not worry about parking.

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

Even if you stay at either The Del or the Loews you can still take the Ferry to the game and Downtown. The parking at the Ferry Landing is free.

San Diego...
reviews: 21
2. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

I was also thinking the Coronado Marriott might be a good place for you to stay. As elizze mentioned, you will be right near the ferry so you will not have to drive over the bridge to downtown. My second choice would be Hotel Del Coronado, but definitely not Lowes. You would have to drive to the beach. It looks like the beach is across the street but that is closed off because it is military base. You would have to go North to near Hotel Del Coronado or South to Silver Strand for beach access.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

Just want to say that you don't have to drive to the beach from the Loews.

The Silver Strand beach is a walk under the roadway and is not a naval base.

I agree that the Loews is isolated. We have stayed there for an in town getaway for my b-day.

You will definitely have to drive to restaurants in the main area of the town.

It will add about 10min. to the drive to downtown San Diego as well.

If you just want to relax and use the resort facilities and not do much sightseeing then that is a different story.

San Diego...
4. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

Oh, you are right! For some silly reason I was thinking Fiddler's Cove and Lowe's were right next to each other. You can access the beach from the Lowes.

Toronto
5. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

Thanks for your replies. I knew that Loews was more isolated. We have a car, so I wasnt too concerned. I guess I was just comparing room quality - a basic room at the Del vs. a considerable upgrade at the Loews. But you are right, everything I read leans towards the Del. I just have to convince my hubby who only considers $$. Also this rate at the Del is non refundable, whereas the Loews, I can cancel any time, so I just wanted to confirm before I book.

San Diego...
6. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

As far as the actual rooms and service, have you read the reviews here on TripAdvisor? I know people love the Del for its history, but in recent years, it has not had consistent love from reviewers. I know many people who just adore the hotel, but others just hate how old and dated it is and also how crowded with tourists and looky-loos it is. If your deciding factor is not based on location, but on the actual rooms, I would read the reviews based on people who have stayed there and not just base your opinion on what the locals think :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
7. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

I have stayed at the Hotel del in the last year and when my cousin is in town he always stays there and likes it. I do too. I read the reviews on a regular basis and sometimes the complaints are just silly, it is the crowd that stays in "W's" and expects the del to be a yuppified/hipster hotel. The del is a nice place, the lookie loos don't overly bother me and we've enjoyed our stays there.

I think the Loews is great and at its best when you plan NOT to leave the resort much and spend the time there. My parents have done anniversary trips there and they love it, but they mostly just hang by the pool and beach.

The del would be my first choice, but I would price out the Coronado Marriott and if it is a lot less, go for the Marriott. It is a super hotel and I like the location, despite being a little ways from Downtown Coronado.

Toronto
8. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

I was even considering just staying downtown at the Omni or one of the Kimptons, but the price is well over $300 right now, it actually is cheaper to stay at the Del! Are the rates downtown usually that high in July? I figured that they may come down, but so far they have not.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
9. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

In July usually our beach hotels are more expensive than the ones downtown BUT you might be hitting a convention weekend and then prices go UP if there are rooms left at all!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
10. Re: Loews Coronado vs Del Coronado

If it is around July 18-21 (give or take a day or two on either side) you are bumping up against ComicCon and if those are the dates you plan on coming, book a room like yesterday...... ComicCon sucks up almost all hotel capacity in the southern part of San Diego County.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci

If that is when you are coming.... bring your Wonder Woman or Xena, Warrior Princess outfit.

Edited: 6:10 pm, May 06, 2013