We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wausau, Wisconsin
reviews: 5
trip report

We just got back from a 5 day vacation in San Diego - super weather - we appreciated all the help from all of the San Diego experts - got there late Sunday and left early Friday (yesterday) - five full days - We stayed at Choice hotels because of Friends and Family rates we were able to get via relative - quick run-down (plan to post reviews for each major stop):

Monday: Drove from our hotel (Comfort Inn Hotel Circle) to Sunset Cliffs then Snooze for breakfast - excellent - the OMG French toast was OMG excellent as was everything else - Balboa Park was basically enjoyable but a bit disappointing - we are not museum folk though - enjoyed Spanish Art Village the most - decided to hit de Alcala mission on our way to Julian - the mission was worth the stop - never made it to Julian - the roads were too scary for my wife - we planned to go on Sunrise highway but the road even to Sunrise was making my wife uncomfortable so we thought we would try Hwy 79 - we went about 5 miles and had to turn around - we went to Bertrand’s at Mr. A’s for Happy Hour - excellent food and even more excellent view - and then we hit Torrey Pines Glider Port – enjoyable – walked onto to Torrey Pines golf course and ended up watching the sunset from a bench on I believe Hole #2 tee area and went to Econo Lodge in La Jolla (best motel of the three)

Tuesday: Hit meditation gardens at 9 when they opened up – beautiful – then had breakfast at the Cottage – got there about 9:30 and had to wait 10 minutes to sit - good but like Snooze a bit more – enjoyed La Jolla, cove, We Olive for tasting, went to Mille Fleurs for Happy Hour – very good except for dessert

Wednesday: Snooze for breakfast, then Hotel Del Coronado – wasn’t planning on stopping here at first but glad we did – then Seaport Village – OK, not quite as beautiful, enjoyable as I thought it might be – then Bali Hai restaurant for Happy Hour (we don’t drink much seriously, just thought we’d try these places for better prices on food – we figure next time we probably won’t do Happy Hours again – mainly because we don’t drink often and we usually never order appetizers anyway), since we were still a bit hungry and wasn’t too happy with the food – view was fantastic -we went to Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern and had some onion rings the waitress said they were known for – they were good but not great

Thursday – Snooze again then planned to go to Cordiano winery but happened to see a sign on the road just before that for Altipiano Winery – though they not open on Thursday, I thought I’d call anyway – the owner said to come on in and we did and we had a very enjoyable time and would highly recommend this place – we stopped at the Glider Port again, walked around La Jolla again – happen to find a wonderful path below Prospect and Park and then we enjoyed a visit to Harvard Cookin’ Girl – a vegetarian Tuscan meal made right in front of us with soup, salad, and desert – very nice way to end our vacation

San Diego...
1. Re: trip report

Thanks for sharing. I take it you like Snooze :-)

Just curious you said Balboa Park was a bit disappointing? In what way, where you expecting something different? In my life Ive been inside one of the museums and that was probably 30 years ago, I love the park for what it is a park, a great park at that. I use it like I would any other park. Not as an attraction. Although in addition to the museums its also home to the SD Zoo.

reviews: 780
2. Re: trip report

Sounds very fun! And you hit some of our favorite spots! :)

Wausau, Wisconsin
reviews: 5
3. Re: trip report

I thought the gardens and the park itself were going to be prettier is all - it is a great park no doubt

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: trip report

Thanks for writing! It is always interesting to read someone else's perspective about our city!

I do go to museums but not always and we enjoy the gardens(rose and desert) .

We haven't walked yet in the canyon walkway at the Japanese garden but plan to soon.

I would have thought that the canyon trails would have been unique for you coming from Wisconsin but perhaps you didn't get to any of them??

I agree that Sunrise Hwy. is scary and would never have suggested it for a nervous person(like me)!!

Most Happy Hour food is full of appetizers so perhaps not the best choice for dinner for you if you don't like them.

Glad you found some interesting wineries! I have not been to the ones you visited.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 22
5. Re: trip report

Thanks for taking the time and reporting back...we like that!

United States
reviews: 131
6. Re: trip report

Thanks for the TR!

7. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2014