We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

We would like to visit LaJolla while in San Diego and without renting a car. How would be the

best way to get there? Train or bus?

Thanks for your advice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
1. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Well starting at the beginning... where are you staying?

La Jolla is a neighborhood of the City of San Diego just like Downtown, Mission Beach, Hillcrest etc.

There are no trains or trolleys anyplace close, bus or taxi are your options.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

You can take the #30 bus . Here's the route and timetable:

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=30

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
3. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

I was staying near the convention center, where my wife was attending a conference, and I took a combination of light rail and bus to get to the very nice UCSD/Scripps aquarium in La Jolla. Took 2 buses to get back. It took over an hour each way. Plus a moderate walk to get up to the aquarium. Other starting and ending points obviously would have involved different amounts of time. As noted above, need more info on where you're starting and where you're going. Plus what day of the week.

Edited: 10:25 am, March 29, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
4. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Hmmm, going back over your posts from Oct-Nov of last year you were going to get a car. Has that changed? I hope not, with 5 people you really need a car and you won't save much when all is said and you'll waste a lot of time on public transportation.

San Diego...
5. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

I think you should go back to your original idea to rent a car. Especially with 5 people ! Public transportation can really add up for 5. Do you really want to spend 2 hrs on a bus (and it could be more depending on your starting point and getting to where the bus stop is) going to LJ?

I'm not saying that you can't visit SD w/o a car. And that even if you have a car, depending on where you're staying, you can get around to some sites using public transportation. I think you need to weigh the pros and cons. Look at where you are staying, where the closest bus stop is, where you want to go and how many buses you need to take to get there, how much using the bus/trolley or taxis will add up to be for 5 people vs. renting a car.

6. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Thanks everyone for your replies. Convinced us to rent a car. I think we just got a little nervous about the traffic and freeways !!

We are staying on First Avenue and W. Broadway at the Bristol Hotel.

San Diego...
7. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Well, that is a good location for public transportation. You can also walk to some of the sites Maybe you don't need the car the whole time? You will have to pay $26 / night to park the car. So on a day that you wouldn't have a car you can buy a $5 day pass for the trolley/bus for each person = $25. You can use it to go to Little Italy and Old Town for the day and not have to worry about finding and paying for parking. Use another day to either take the bus or ferry to Coronado. Definitely have it for La Jolla, Carlsbad, Cabrillo Nat'l Monument, Torrey Pines, Pacific Beach.

Again, you'd have to weigh the pros and cons and costs and decide what's best for your family. I'd start off with the car and once here decide if you want to turn it in and use public transportation after 2 or 3 days - depending on how long your stay is. The Bristol is a one minute walk to The Transit Store on Broadway. So you can walk there and get all the info you need on public transportation. There's staff that can answer your questions and help with routes and costs. Then you can make an informed decision once here.

http://goo.gl/maps/6TIMc

8. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Thanks for your advice. Its not so much the cost of renting a car as the fear of the traffic and freeways that we've heard about !!

San Diego...
9. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Margo - I'd really be interested in hearing what you've been told specifically about traffic and freeways here in SD that would make you so fearful !

From where you're staying going to the majority of tourist attractions you're not likely to encounter heavy traffic on the freeway. And in some cases you won't even need to get on the freeway depending on where you're going. The only time the traffic gets bad is during commuter hours. And you can easily avoid being on the freeway at those hours as a tourist because you won't be someone going to / from work.

From where you are staying you should easily be able to drive within 15 or 20 mins to Balboa Park / Zoo, SeaWorld, Coronado, Cabrillo Nat'l Monument, Pacific Beach, La Jolla add another 10 mins to get to the village. I believe you mentioned Carlsbad in another post. From where you're staying that drive could take 40 - 45 mins because of the distance. Just avoid commuter rush-hour traffic times

This isn't LA and we don't have that kind of traffic. Relax about driving here and enjoy!

Edited: 4:31 am, March 30, 2013
10. Re: Public transportation from SD to LaJolla

Thanks so much for your advice. You make me feel much better !!! We have rented a car and we are ready

to go !!! San Diego sounds like such a great place to visit and we are really looking forward to our trip. Half the fun of traveling for me is planning where to go and researching about the area. Thank God for the great responders on Trip Advisor !!