We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working on Itinerary

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Working on Itinerary

We are a family of 4, (kids 10 and 13) going to San Diego from Jun 18-30. DH has a conference at the Sheraton Marina from June 24-27. I'm currently planning to do a week car rental from June 18-25. My son (10) is a big Lego/Legoland fan so that is a must do. I was considering getting the San Diego Family Fun pass which included Legoland, San Diego Zoo, USS Midway and Harbor tour. I can also add on the Legoland Water Park for $12pp I think. We are currently booked at Homewood Suites Carlsbad from June 18-23 and at Homewood Suites Liberty Stn from 23-30. DS is a complicated eater so a kitchen is good as well the Liberty Stn one is near DHs conference.

So we arrive noonish on the 18th but will have been travelling for about 12 hours and 4.5 hours earlier in time difference. So we probably just want to get to Carlsbad and crash. Is there anywhere we want to pick up supplies/groceries and a quick bite en route. We do have a Costco membership. We will have luggage so it will probably just be me going in and getting things. For the Carlsbad days, we are looking at Legoland, Legoland waterpark, Shopping, Beach and maybe a short day trip to somewhere nearby.

On June 23, we head to San Diego and it's our last day together before the conference, and really the only one with a car (unless we get one at the end). We could drive by things on the way but again, we will have luggage in the car. We can also drop off at new hotel and go exploring. What should we make sure to do, that we need a car for? We also will want to top up groceries, where is good for that?

June 24 the conference starts, I should still have the car, but I usually don't drive on vacation, so it would have to be somewhere easy. DH will have tickets to the Padres that night and we may try to get some cheaper ones, as extras through conference are $85 each. For the other days of the conference I won't have the car but may want to do something with the kids, or else we will R&R by the pool. June 28 and 29 are main San Diego sightseeing days, but we do not plan to have a car. We fly home on the 30th. We want to see Balboa Park (not sure about the museums) and the San Diego Zoo, in the Enbarcadero Area - we could see the USS Midway and do the Harbor Tour in one direction (if we buy the pass mentioned above).

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above? Thanks

San Diego...
1. Re: Working on Itinerary

There is a Costco just down the street from your hotel in Carlsbad.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 18
2. Re: Working on Itinerary

If I were you, I'd consider keeping the rental car for the second week as well. Your only public transportation option at Liberty Station is the bus system -- and with two kids in tow, there's going be lots of waiting and possible frustrations figuring out the schedules, transfer points, etc.

Other ideas for family excursions:

* Rent bikes in Pacific Beach and cruise the oceanfront pathway/boardwalk. Then take them on an old-fashioned roller coaster ride at Belmont Park (small amusement park).

* Go to La Jolla to see the picturesque rocky coastline and walk along the paved pathway at the ocean. Your kids (and you) will enjoy watching the seals that have taken over a small beach known as Children's Pool.

* Have each kid choose a museum to visit at Balboa Park, a huge city treasure with beautiful landscaping and old-world architecture.

Edited: 11:50 am, March 26, 2013
San Diego...
3. Re: Working on Itinerary

There is a Vons supermarket and a Trader Joes next to each other at Liberty Station near your hotel. You can very easily go straight to your hotel and drop off your luggage and then go shopping. It's probably a 2 min drive from the hotel to the stores.

http://goo.gl/maps/asyfC

We've discussed in a couple of your other posts what your options are for not having a car and staying at the HS Liberty Station. We've already said that if you are set on not having a car (which isn't a great idea) for sightseeing what buses to take to get you around.

Here is the bus and trolley schedule in case you've forgotten your options.

http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/BusRoutes.aspx

A reminder that the 992 bus will get you close to Little Italy and it will take you to the Bay and on into Downtown. As said, you can take a taxi to the airport and pick up the bus there.

As far as what to do after you check into the hotel I'd do something that isn't as easy to get to w/o a car on the other days. One option is to go to Balboa Park and depending on the time of day perhaps the Zoo (if the zoo was in your plans.) It's easier to get to with a car from LS than w/o a car. Another option if it's a clear day is Cabrillo National Monument

www.nps.gov/cabr/planyourvisit/index.htm

http://tinyurl.com/bwjgp5b

It would also be a good day to drive to Coronado with the car.

Canada
4. Re: Working on Itinerary

Thanks. The reason we weren't planning on keeping the car for the 2nd week as we probably won't use it when DH is at the conference. If we find we definitely need one for the 28 and 29, we can always get one then. We ended up doing that in Hawaii - had it 3 days pre-conference and then decided it was easier to get one post-conference for the last day as we wanted to go to Diamond Head and Hanauma Bay, and bus routes weren't working out for us. But DH didn't want a car at all this trip originally, as driving is not relaxing for him and I have back/neck issues so I'm not sure how comfortable I will be somewhere new. So I will plan as if we won't have a car after the 25th for now.

How long do people typically spend at the zoo? I was thinking of Cabrillo National Monument or Coronado for the car day? We could also check out Coronado, Mission Bay or Pacific Beach that evening. Is La Jolla somewhere we would go from Carlsbad or San Diego?

5. Re: Working on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 28, 2014