We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

Traveling in about a week to San Diego/La Jolla with my husband and our 10 year old daughter. We are staying at The Lodge at Torrey Pines. There for a full week. We've never been to San Diego, so I'm a little overwhelmed. I'd like to strike a balance between relaxation and enjoying what the area has to offer. So far I have the following on our to do list: USS Midway Museum, San Diego Zoo, Torrey Pines State Reserve, possibly Legoland or SeaWorld, ferry to Coronado, sunset at Sunset Cliffs natural park, and San Diego harbor cruise. I would really appreciate any suggestions!! Don't know if we are trying to fit in too much or if I'm overlooking something wonderful? Thanks!!

San Diego...
1. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

You will be very close to the Birch Aquaium

http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

I think you do have a balance between living life places and 'theme parks'.

Although I don't see Balboa Park on your list

http://www.balboapark.org/

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 22
2. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

Nice list, but I think you can cross off Lego Land, your daughter is too old for the place, IMHO.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
3. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

I think you have a good list.

Don't forget the nearby beaches like La Jolla Cove with the seals and sea birds in their native environment and La Jolla Shores with its wide white sandy beach. There's also the Torrey Pines Gliderport for good views and to see them take off from the cliffs and soar out over the ocean.

As for Legoland, I'd let your daughter look at the web site and see if the activities interest her. It all depend on the individual child.

Don't forget Balboa Park (in which the zoo is located) . Even if you don't want to visit any of the small museums the gardens(including a desert one) and the architecture and outdoor entertainment/live theater and artisan shops are certainly worth a visit!!!

www.balboapark.org

San Diego...
reviews: 27
4. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

I agree with the others. I love Birch Aquarium. Balboa Park is beautiful. Legoland may not be worth it. The Carlsbad Flower Fields should be in bloom next week too! Also, the burger at The Grill at The Lodge is AMAZING and if you get in the pool, there are under water speakers to listen to music while swimming :)

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 6
5. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

If your daughter likes animals, SD Zoo is really great, we loved it.

edmonton
reviews: 45
6. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

sunset cliffs is a great place to plan a picnic at sunset. pick a nice clear day and bring a blanket and be careful. one of my favorite places. try to park on santa cruz. look at the tide predictions. i think going about 1-2 hours before high tide is the best and, of course, sunset. there is a big pier in ocean beach and some cool shops on newport avenue. you could plan on spending sometime there, pick up your picnic items and then it's just a short drive to the cliffs.

San Diego...
7. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

Belmont Park and The Wave House on Mission Beach in PB (Pacifc Beach) is a lot of fun. Belmont Park has an old wooden roller coaster, bumper cars and a few other rides. The Wave House is connected to the park and it has two wave pools, one for sufing and one for boogie boarding. It is also a fun place to grab a bite and people watch. The park is right on the ocean, so you can combine the trip with a day at the beach, complete with nice walking trail, lots of places for a meal and a good place to pick up souvenirs. PB is just south of La Jolla. It probably a 20 minute drive along the coast from your hotel.

8. Re: San Diego/La Jolla w/ Husband and 10 Year Old Daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 20, 2014