We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Camping on the beach.

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bluffton, Indiana
RV Camping on the beach.

Looking for a great RV campground on the beach or at least with a great view and short walk. Any ideas? Family of 7.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
reviews: 57
1. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

Try South Carlsbad State Beach or San Elijo State Beach.

San Diego...
2. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

Hi gomez - . Elle's has given you some good options. There is no camping on the beach in San Diego. Are you towing a car to get to restaurants or are you strictly wanting to camp? There's Campland on Mission Bay and while it's on the beach on the bay and there are water activities unless you are towing a car to get to other places like restaurants, it isn't practicle. I used to stay there a lot years ago. But we always had a car to get around outside the park. I had great times there growing up. And we didn't necessarily leave the park at night that much.

There's also Mission Bay RV Resort

http://www.missionbayrvresort.com/

San Diego...
reviews: 21
3. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

If you are specifically looking for reservations for the peak times (May-October) I wanted to add that you will definitely need to have reservations in advance at any of the state beach campgrounds, and they are very hard to get...like 5 and 6 months to the date, be online, logged in and ready to go! If you miss out, check back all the time and hope and pray that you get a spot.

Right now Silver Strand is closed for repairs.

If you have a military affiliation, you may have better luck getting reservations on base.

I do not mean to be a spoil sport. We are avid RV campers and camp at the beach every year and play the reservations game. Its just a popular place to be and there are not that many spots available. It is much like Yosemite. I tired for months to get reservations...the whole "set your alarm clock, log in, and right at the exact moment, hit purchase" and missed out for months, so I know how painfully frustrating it can be.

Additionally, some campsites will only allow 6 people total including infants and children so you may need to get two spots. Be sure to read the fine print when booking your reservations.

Edited: 12:28 am, March 15, 2013
Bluffton, Indiana
4. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

Looks like if we want RV hook ups we might be out of luck. Which is better...San Elijo or Carlsbad?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
5. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

IMHO, they are both about the same, get whichever one is available before they are booked up!

Bluffton, Indiana
6. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

How important is it to have a vehicle besides the RV? We want to see things in the city, is there good transportation if we don't have a car? We have 5 young kids, 1-11 years old.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
7. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

I'd stay it was important to have a vehicle. The closest train station is about 2miles away from either of the campgrounds. Campland on the Bay in the city of San Diego is less than 1/2 mile walk to a bus stop where you could then take the #30 bus to the Old Town transit center to get around the city.

Either way with a large group, having a car would make life easier.

San Diego...
reviews: 21
8. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

If you plan on leaving the campground and do not want to pack up your RV, you will need a car.

Can I ask why you are so set on RV camping? Are you driving to California from Indiana in your personal RV? Or are you renting an RV once you get here?

Have you checked the rates to just rent a condo right on the beach that will comfortably sleep your entire family?

A family of 7 paying to take showers and use public restrooms, (because clearly your black tank will not be able to accommodate that many people), not having a car but wanting to site see, it just makes no logical sense to me why on earth you would want to camp at the beach. When we go, we set up camp and we stay put. There are 3 of us and if we conserve our water we are okay for 4 days. (meaning, kid uses our shower, we use public showers and toilets).

Additionally, So Carlsbad has many many many stairs down to the water. You are up on a cliff, so it not really beach side camping (if you want a few kids in the RV napping and the adults on the beach playing sort of thing). I have never been to San Elijo. We go to South Carlsbad, Silver Strand, and Del Mar Beach (Military beach) camping every year.

Bluffton, Indiana
9. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

We have to deliver an RV to San Francisco from Chicago. So we are using the RV for that reason. It's an arrangement we've already agreed to.

So given that, what would you suggest for camping? We'd like to see the beach. Not planning to spend lots of money, so we won't do a lot beyond taking in the views and relaxing on the beach.

We'd like to see some things, but maybe that could be done as we drive the coast up to San Francisco.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
10. Re: RV Camping on the beach.

If Campland at the Beach has a space, as mentioned above, is a good choice.

http://www.campland.com/about/