We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car to Mexico

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worthing, United...
Car to Mexico

Hi we booking a fly drive with virgin would we be able to drive into Mexico from San Diego or are you not allowed to cross the border thanks in advance for any help.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Car to Mexico

Your US rental car contract will prohibit you from driving into Mexico.

Where in Mexico were you thinking of going?

Worthing, United...
2. Re: Car to Mexico

Thank you not really planning anywhere just to say we had been to Mexico.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 336
3. Re: Car to Mexico

I believe there are a few rental car companies, especially near the border, that sell Mexican insurance and would allow you to drive into Mexico, but I don't see the sense of it jut to say you've been in Mexico (and a border area, at that). You can park in San Ysidro, on the U.S. siode of the border, and walk across, see the tourist area (lots of vendors, who should be glad to see you, due to the drop in tourism there), and return. Avodiing the long backlog of cars comiing north across the border. You could even park in San Diego and take the trolley to (or very close to) the border. No, you wouldn't have been in the "real" Mexico, but if ou want to step foot inside, and then some, and have your passport stamped, go forit. Do check on rules for your nationality in advance.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 12
4. Re: Car to Mexico

Having to find a rental agency which allows cars to enter border towns only, having to buy extra Insurance, having to wait at the boder upon return for an excessive amount of time, having LOTS to see in do in the US.....just to say "I've been there", seems silly at best.

If you really want to see Mexico why not book a relatively inexpensive flight from San Diego or LAX to Cabo San Lucas. Spend a couple days there and reconnect to your US portion of the trip.

You will love it there.

Dr. Z

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
reviews: 57
5. Re: Car to Mexico

If you want to say you have been in Mexico, you could drive your rental car to the border by Tecate (a nice drive through some hilly and rural area), park on the California side of the border, and walk across into Tecate. Once there, you can stroll around the zocalo (plaza) and sit somewhere to enjoy some tacos or tortas and locally brewed beer. It has much more of the "old" Mexico feeling than Tijuana.

6. Re: Car to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:23 am, May 23, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
7. Re: Car to Mexico

I like Elle's idea.

Backups at the Tijuana border crossing are always in the 1-2 hour range (it's one of the busiest entries into the US -- if not THE busiest). Dealing with that on vacation -- just to say you'd been -- isn't a great use of time.

8. Re: Car to Mexico

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:01 am, May 19, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
9. Re: Car to Mexico

>>>Backups at the Tijuana border crossing are always in the 1-2 hour range (it's one of the busiest entries into the US -- if not THE busiest)<<<

I do believe it is the busiest land port of entry in the world.

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104872

I agree Tecate is cool, but so are Ensenada and Rosarito.

It is worth reading this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k539834…

Edited: 9:28 pm, March 02, 2013
10. Re: Car to Mexico

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2014